Diagnostic Tests for Excessive hunger
Diagnostic Test list for Excessive hunger:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Excessive hunger
- Physical examination
- Measure body mass index (BMI) i.e. weight in kg/(height in meters) squared
- Examine for signs of bulimia nervosa - e.g. cardiac arrhythmia, dental decay and swollen salivary glands due to vomiting and dehydration due to diuretic abuse.
- Examine for visual field defects and papilledema that may be present with pituitary or hypothalamic tumors
- Examine for signs of Graves disease including look for proptosis (forward displacement of the eyeball), thyroid enlargement, fine tremor, rapid pulse
- Mental state examination - including appearance, behavior, rate and continuity of speech, mood, affect, thought content, evidence of any hallucinations or abnormal beliefs, orientation to time, place and person, attention and concentration, short-term memory, insight and judgement.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Electrolytes and renal function tests
- Thyroid function tests
- Fasting blood sugar +/- glucose tolerance test - if suspect diabetes.
- Free cortisol - if suspect Cushing's syndrome.
- Plasma insulin, C-peptide or 72 hour fast with frequent blood sugar determinations - if suspect insulinoma.
- Stool sample for microscopy looking for ovum and parasites - may diagnose tapeworms.
- Radiological investigations
- Pituitary gland CT scan or MRI - may detect pituitary tumor that may cause 60% of cases of Cushing's syndrome and also diagnose other brain tumors that may cause excessive appetite.
- Adrenal gland CT scan may detect adrenal tumors that may cause 15% of cases of Cushing's syndrome
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Excessive hunger causes:
- Food Allergies & Intolerances: Home Testing:
- Digestive-Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Excessive hunger:
The following list of conditions
have 'Excessive hunger' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Excessive hunger or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Excessive hunger:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Excessive hunger'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: