Diagnostic Tests for Eye pain
Diagnostic Test list for Eye pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Eye pain
- Physical examination
- Visual acuity (vision testing of the eye)
- Inspect the eye noting the nature of redness, if present. This will help delineate episcleritis, scleritis, uveitis and glaucoma
- Look for any irregularity of the iris
- A dilated pupil would suggest glaucoma, a small constricted pupil may suggest acute iritis
- Use local anesthetic drops instilled prior to examining a painful eye as they are a sensitive measure of a surface problem. If the pain is unrelieved a deeper problem must be suspected
- Look for any foreign bodies, especially under the eyelids
- Invert the eyelid to inspect under the upper eyelid
- Use fluorescein staining of the cornea to detect any corneal ulceration. Branch- like ulceration is diagnostic of herpes simples infection of the eye
- Opthalmoscopic examination - may show optic neuritis, retrobulbar neuritis and retinal artery occlusion.
- Slit lamp examination of the eye is ideal for examination of the eye
- Tonometry (measures ocular tension) - elevated with glaucoma.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Eye pain causes:
- Vision & Eye Health: Home Testing:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Eye pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Eye pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Eye pain or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Eye pain:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Eye pain'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: