Diagnostic Tests for Eye swelling
Diagnostic Test list for Eye swelling:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Eye swelling
- Eye examination
- Visual acuity (vision testing of the eye)
- Inspect the eye noting the nature of redness, if present. This will help delineate episcleritis, scleritis, uveitis and glaucoma
- A dilated pupil would suggest glaucoma
- Inspect under the upper eyelid for a cobblestone appearance (which indicates allergic conjunctivitis)
- Slit lamp examination of the eye is ideal for examination of the eye
- Tonometry (measures ocular tension) - elevated with glaucoma.
- Physical examination
- Palpate the bones overlying the sinuses for tenderness which may indicate acute sinusitis
- Look for the butterfly facial rash of systemic lupus erythematosus
- Blood tests
- Renal function tests
- Blood sugar - may detect diabetes which can cause nephrotic syndrome.
- Albumin - will be low in nephrotic syndrome.
- Thyroid function tests - if suspect Grave's disease.
- Elevated triglycerides and LDL cholesterol in nephrotic syndrome
- ANA may detect systemic lupus erythematosus
- Serum electrophoresis may detect myeloma which can cause amyloid and consequent nephrotic syndrome
- RAST allergy tests - if suspect allergies.
- Urine tests
- 24 Hour urinary protein elevated in nephrotic syndrome
- Skin prick allergy tests - if suspect allergies to be the cause.
- Throat swab - if suspect streptococcal throat infection as a cause of nephrotic syndrome.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Eye swelling causes:
- Vision & Eye Health: Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Eye swelling:
The following list of conditions
have 'Eye swelling' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Eye swelling or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: