Diagnostic Tests for Facial weakness
Diagnostic Test list for Facial weakness:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Facial weakness
- Physical examination
- Central nervous system examination, including cranial nerves looking for signs of 7th nerve palsy which may be due to brain tumor, brain stroke, brain stem stroke, brain stem tumor, multiple sclerosis, acoustic neuroma, meningioma, chronic meningitis, Bell's palsy, fracture of petrous temporal bone, otitis media, herpes zoster infection, parotid gland tumor, parotid gland sarcoidosis
- Look for signs of Bell's palsy (7th nerve palsy of unknown cause) e.g. unable to wrinkle forehead or close eye forcefully on affected side, unable to whistle or blow out cheeks
- Complete examination of the ears, nose and throat looking for rupture of ear drum, ear discharge or evidence of middle ear infection
- If 7th nerve palsy, examine for a blister-like rash on the pharynx or external ear canal that would suggest herpes zoster (shingles) infection of the nerve
- Palpate parotid gland for enlargement
- Peripheral nervous system examination looking for paralysis or weakness of the limbs
- Examine for signs of primary muscle disease such as Dystrophia myotonica or myasthenia gravis
- Blood tests
- Glucose tolerance test, to rule out diabetic neuropathy
- Blood culture - if signs of infective process.
- Lyme disease serology - if suspected.
- Lead level - if suspect lead poisoning.
- Swab of ear discharge - if present for microscopy and culture.
- Radiological investigations
- CT Brain and brain stem - if suspect tumor, stroke or abscess.
- MRI of brain and brain stem - if CT scan is not helpful or inconclusive.
- X-ray and CT scan of mastoid and petrous temporal bone - if history of trauma and have 7th nerve palsy.
- Carotid ultrasound scan - if stroke is suspected.
- Spinal fluid analysis - to look for Guillain-Barre syndrome ( increased protein) or to culture fluid (if brain abscess present).
- Tensilon test - to look for myasthenia gravis, if suspected.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Facial weakness causes:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Facial weakness:
The following list of conditions
have 'Facial weakness' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Facial weakness or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Facial weakness:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Facial weakness'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: