Diagnostic Tests for Fainting
Diagnostic Test list for Fainting:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Fainting
- Physical examination
- Observe for pallor of skin or conjunctiva. Moderate or severe anemia will cause lightheadedness and dizziness
- Blood pressure taken when lying down and again after rapidly arising to standing position. Low blood pressure or postural drop in blood pressure can cause fainting
- Complete cardiovascular examination. If there are irregularities of heart beat, heart murmurs or heart enlargement found may suggest cardiac arrhythmia, aortic stenosis and insufficiency, mitral stenosis, prolapse of the mitral valve or congestive cardiac failure as a cause of the fainting
- Complete nervous system examination should be performed including visual acuity, inspecting for nystagmus, cranial nerve and cerebellar examination. If abnormalities are found may suggest multiple sclerosis, advanced brain stem tumor, acoustic neuroma or basilar artery insufficiency
- Blood tests
- ECG - to detect heart block, arrhythmias, long Q-T interval.
- 24 hour Blood pressure monitoring - may be considered.
- Holter monitoring - for detection of cardiac arrhythmias may be necessary to detect an arrhythmia.
- Tilt test - will diagnose postural hypotension as the person is raised to the vertical and is useful in diagnosis.
- EEG and/or 24 hr EEG - may need to be done to exclude epilepsy.
- Radiological investigations
- CT or MRI brain
- MRI angiography of vertebral basilar artery if suspect arterial insufficiency
- Echocardiogram may be considered
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Fainting causes:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Fainting:
The following list of conditions
have 'Fainting' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Fainting or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Fainting:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Fainting'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: