Diagnostic Tests for Fertility symptoms
Diagnostic Test list for Fertility symptoms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Fertility symptoms
- Physical examination of female
- Inspect the secondary sexual characteristics . If abnormal consider Turner's syndrome, Simmond's disease, Frolich's syndrome and virilism
- Complete endocrine examination. If abnormalities consider hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, Simmond's disease or Acromegaly
- Female Pelvic examination. Look for abnormalities such as cervicitis, stenosis of the cervix, fibroids, retroverted uterus, tubo-ovarian abscess and polycystic ovaries
- Physical examination of male
- Inspect the secondary sexual characteristics, noting any gynecomastia (enlargement of the breasts)
- Examine external genitalia and prostate (including size and consistency of the testes, tenderness of the epididymis and vas, presence of varicocoele) for abnormalities such as Klinefelter's syndrome (testicles are 2cm or less in length), epididymitis, testicular atrophy, urethritis and prostatitis
- Complete endocrine examination. If abnormalities consider hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism or hypopituitarism
- Blood tests in female
- Full blood count
- Thyroid function test (looking for hypothyroidism)
- Prolactin level
- FSH, LH, estrogen and progesterone - to determine the presence of pituitary or ovarian causes of failure to ovulate. Day 21 progesterone levels allow assessment of ovulation.
- Syphilis serology - if indicated.
- Blood tests in male
- Full blood count
- Thyroid function test
- LH, FSH, testosterone (If FSH level is 2.5 times normal, indicates irreversible testicular failure)
- Antisperm antibodies
- Syphilis serology
- Karyotype testing may be needed
- Urine tests in female
- Mid stream urine microscopy and culture
- First pass urine pcr for Chlamydia and gonorrhea
- Urine test in male
- First pass urine pcr fro Chlamydia and gonorrhea
- High vaginal swab for microscopy and culture in female
- Biopsy of cervix - if cervicitis is suspected in female.
- Cervical mucous studies in female - can be done for spinnbarkheit testing and ferning and examining for presence of white cells.
- Sperm count, in male after at least 3 days abstinence- looking for reduced sperm quantity and quality. If abnormal, repeat
- Sperm function tests in male - may be needed.
- Urethral swab for microscopy and culture in male - if a urethral discharge is present.
- Female may keep a temperature chart to see if ovulation may be occurring
- Radiological investigations in female
- Pelvic ultrasound scan
- CT or MRI of the pituitary fossa (if suspect prolactinoma)
- Radiological investigations in male
- Testicular ultrasound may be helpful
- Laparoscopy - may be necessary in the female to rule out other conditions that may affect fertility (e.g. endometriosis, fallopian tube patency).
- Endometrial biopsy - may also contribute to solving diagnostic dilemma in female.
- Testicular biopsy in male - may be indicated if male hormones, karyotyping or sperm function tests are abnormal.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Fertility symptoms causes:
- Pregnancy -- Related Home Testing:
- Fertility-related Home Testing:
- Male Fertility Tests
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
- Vaginal Health: Home Testing:
- Breast Cancer: Related Home Tests:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Fertility symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Fertility symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Fertility symptoms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Fertility symptoms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Fertility symptoms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: