Diagnostic Tests for Finger numbness
Diagnostic Test list for Finger numbness:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Finger numbness
- General appearance - abnormal posture, muscle wasting, abnormal arm movements.
- Physical examination
- May be necessary to examine a variety of joints including the cervical spine, shoulder, elbow , wrists and the various joints of the hand
- Test muscle tone, power, reflexes and co-ordination of upper limbs
- Test sensation of upper limbs ( including pain , touch , temperature and vibration sensation)
- Determine the extent and limit of the finger numbness
- Examine and test each nerve of the upper limb (including radial , median, ulnar nerve and also brachial plexus)
- Examination of cranial nerves ( if also affected would suggest a diagnosis of cerebrovascular disease , a mass in the brain, migraine or multiple sclerosis)
- Examination of the lower limbs
- Examine for reduced or absent peripheral pulses, cool peripheries, absence of hairs on peripheries to diagnose peripheral vascular disease
- Examine for finger tip ulcers which may be a complication of Raynaud's disease or frostbite
- Examine for any signs of rheumatoid arthritis, lupus erythematosus, systemic sclerosis, polyarteritis nodosa, Buerger's disease, polycythaemia, leukemia, polymyositis , dermatomyositis that may cause Raynaud's phenomenon
- Blood tests
- Full blood count, ESR, Electrolytes
- Blood sugar to detect diabetes which can cause peripheral neuropathy and peripheral nerve lesions
- Rheumatoid factor, ANA antibodies, ENA antibodies, dsDNA antibodies, antinuclear and anticentromere antibodies to diagnose possible causes of Raynaud's phenomenon
- Thyroid function tests to diagnose hypothyroidism ( can cause carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Vitamin B12, intrinsic factor antibodies (looking for pernicious anemia)
- Syphilis antibody test if indicated
- Radiology investigations
- Neck X-ray (look for cervical rib which may cause thoracic outlet syndrome
- Upper Thoracic spine X-Ray
- Elbow , forearm, Shoulder X-ray
- Wrist and Hand X-Ray
- CT Scan or MRI of Cervical spine if nil numbness of the face or cranial nerve signs - can detect nerve root entrapment in the intervertebral foramina of the cervical spine or a disc prolapse.
- CT Brain if also numbness of the face or cranial nerve signs to detect cerebrovascular disease , mass in brain
- MRI Brain and Spinal cord to detect multiple sclerosis
- Nerve Conduction studies - may assist in diagnosing Guillain-Barre syndrome.
- Electromyography - to diagnose entrapment syndromes of peripheral nerves.
- Spinal tap - to help diagnose Multiple sclerosis.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Finger numbness causes:
- Diabetes: Related Home Testing:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Finger numbness:
The following list of conditions
have 'Finger numbness' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Finger numbness or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: