Diagnostic Tests for Foot pain
Diagnostic Test list for Foot pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Foot pain
- Physical examination
- Inspect the gait including limping and abnormal toe in or out
- Inspect for any deformities - e.g. hammer toes, bunions, claw toes.
- Look for any skin changes - e.g. signs of peripheral vascular disease such as cold skin, lack of hair, non- healing ulcers; focal redness may suggest cellulitis, osteomyelitis, other types of infections or erythermalgia ; plantar warts.
- Feel the foot for tenderness
- Move joints of foot to detect any reduced range of movement which suggests various types of arthritis, fracture, torn ligaments or inflammation of bursa or tendons
- Feel peripheral pulses. If pulses were reduced or absent may suggest peripheral atherosclerosis
- Neurological examination of foot including power, reflexes and sensation
- Blood tests
- Full blood count ( anemia can cause pain due to poor vascular supply) and ESR (as marker of inflammation)
- Blood glucose
- Biochemistry including calcium level (hypocalcaemia may cause painful muscle spasms of the feet)
- Rheumatoid factor, ENA, ANA autoantibodies
- Uric acid (marker of gout)
- Parathyroid hormone (hypothyroidism may cause painful muscle spasms of the feet)
- Radiological investigations
- Plain X-Ray of foot and ankle
- CT Scan of foot and ankle
- Bone scan will help diagnose obscure fractures and osteomyelitis
- Ultrasound scan ( useful at detecting Morton's neuroma)
- Femoral angiography if suspect peripheral vascular disease
- Synovial joint fluid aspiration - for microscopy and culture.
- Nerve conduction velocity study - to establish the presence of a neuropathy.
- Electromyelogram (EMG) - to establish the presence of a neuropathy.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Foot pain causes:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Foot pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Foot pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Foot pain or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: