Diagnostic Tests for Frequent urination
Diagnostic Test list for Frequent urination:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Frequent urination
- Physical examination
- Examine state of hydration
- Temperature and blood pressure
- Abdominal examination for loin or bladder tenderness
- Vaginal examination for discharge
- Pelvic and rectal examination for a mass that may be pressing on the bladder
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Renal function tests, electrolytes including calcium levels
- Thyroid function tests
- Pituitary hormones, if suspect pituitary diabetes insipidus
- High plasma osmolality and high plasma sodium in diabetes insipidus
- Low plasma osmolality in habitual overdrinking
- Urine tests
- Urinalysis will help determine if there is a urinary tract infection or if there is glucose in the urine and thus may suggest diabetes, hyperthyroidism or Fanconi syndrome
- Urine sample for microscopy and culture
- 24 hour urine volume to determine if urine volume is substantially increased or normal
- Low urine osmolality in diabetes insipidus
- First pass urine pcr for Chlamydia and gonorrhea
- Radiological investigations
- Pelvic ultrasound may disclose a pelvic mass that may be pressing on the bladder
- Intravenous pyelogram
- Retrograde pyelogram
- CT Brain , if suspect pituitary diabetes insipidus
- In men, prostate ultrasound may be require to exclude prostate problems as cause
- Catheterise for residual urine after urination - if the residual urine is large must consider bladder neck obstruction due to prostatic hypertrophy or urethral stricture.
- Cystography may be necessary - performed by Urologist.
- Cystometric tests - if suspect spastic neurogenic bladder.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Frequent urination causes:
- Bladder & Urinary Health: Home Testing:
- Prostate Health: Home Testing:
- Kidney Health: Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Frequent urination:
The following list of conditions
have 'Frequent urination' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Frequent urination or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: