Diagnostic Tests for Groin swelling
Diagnostic Test list for Groin swelling:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Groin swelling
- Physical examination
- Look and feel any obvious swelling in the groin. If not apparent, asking the person to cough may make the lump appear and suggests a hernia feel the area of the swelling and ask the person to cough to feel the lump expand and a cough impulse which usually suggests an inguinal hernia
- Determine if the swelling is reducible which suggests a femoral or inguinal hernia
- Determine if the swelling transilluminates when a torch is used. If the lump does transilluminate, this may suggest a hydrocele of the spermatic cord
- Observe the skin overlying the groin lump. If red may suggest a strangulated hernia or abscess
- Feel for pulsatility of the lump which suggest femoral artery aneurysm
- Examine the testicles within the scrotum, if testicle is absent the groin lump may suggest undescended testes
- Examine the skin of leg for any evidence of infection which may be draining to the groin lymph nodes
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Renal function tests and electrolytes
- Syphilis serology, if indicated
- HIV serology, if indicated
- Lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV) serological test, if suspected
- Swab and culture the base of any lesions - to diagnose genital herpes, syphilitic ulcer, Chancroid (Haemphilus ducreyi).
- Radiological investigation
- Groin ultrasound can confirm hernia and determine type
- Bone scan may help rule out a psoas abscess
- Arteriography may help diagnose femoral artery aneurysm
- Venography or Doppler ultrasound scan will help diagnose saphenous varix
- Exploratory surgery - will be necessary in many cases for both diagnosis and treatment.
- Lymph node biopsy - may be required for definitive diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease and Non- Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Groin swelling:
The following list of conditions
have 'Groin swelling' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Groin swelling or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: