Diagnostic Tests for Hemiparesis
Diagnostic Test list for Hemiparesis:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Hemiparesis
- Physical examination
- Blood pressure - if blood pressure is high must consider a stroke due to a cerebral hemorrhage, cerebral thrombosis or cerebral aneurysm.
- Pulse rate and rhythm looking for atrial fibrillation which would suggest a cerebral embolism as a cause of a stroke
- Cardiovascular examination looking especially for murmur and enlarged heart and carotid artery bruit
- Full neurological examination to help determine the site or level of the lesion in the brain or spinal cord that caused the hemiparesis. Neurological examination must include cranial nerve examination, examination of tone, power, reflexes, coordination and sensation of both the upper and lower limbs looking for signs of a stroke, brain tumor or multiple sclerosis
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Blood cholesterol levels
- Blood cultures
- Cardiolipin antibodies, lupus inhibitor - if antiphospholipid syndrome is suspected.
- Radiological investigations
- Carotid ultrasound scan to rule out carotid artery insufficiency by looking at narrowing of the artery
- CT Brain or MRI Brain
- Four vessel cerebral angiography may be indicated, especially in transient ischemic attacks (TIA)
- Magnetic resonance angiography can evaluate cerebral blood flow, especially in the vertebral-basilar arteries
- Echocardiogram will help determine an embolic source
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Spinal tap - may be required to diagnose Multiple sclerosis or encephalitis.
- Electrophysiological tests such as visual-evoked response (VER) - may be required to diagnose Multiple sclerosis.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Hemiparesis:
The following list of conditions
have 'Hemiparesis' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Hemiparesis or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Hemiparesis:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Hemiparesis'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: