Glossary for Hepatic encephalopathy
Medical terms related to Hepatic encephalopathy or mentioned in this section include:
- Abdominal symptoms: Symptoms affecting the abdomen or digestive tract
- Acute fatty liver of pregnancy: A rare complication of pregnancy that can occur in the second half of the pregnancy. It is characterized by excessive fatty deposits in the liver which can be fatal without prompt diagnosis and treatment which involves delivering the baby as soon as possible.
- Alcohol Withdrawal: Symptoms that occur when alcohol consumption is discontinued or reduced. Symptoms may vary depending on the level of dependence.
- Alcohol abuse: Excessive alcohol as a symptom of other conditions
- Anoxia: A condition marked by a lack of oxygen.
- Brain symptoms: Symptoms affecting the brain
- Digestive symptoms: Any symptoms affecting the digestive tract.
- Encephalitis: Infection of the brain (as a symptom)
- Encephalopathy: Any degenerative condition which affects ones brain
- Energy symptoms: Symptoms related to levels of energy.
- Fatigue: Excessive tiredness or weakness.
- Head symptoms: Symptoms affecting the head or brain
- Hepatitis: Any inflammation of the liver
- Hepatoma: Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is a primary malignancy of the liver.
- Hyponatremia: An electrolyte disturbance involving low sodium levels in the blood. Symptoms are determined by the degree of imbalance. Very low sodium levels can cause water intoxication which can be very dangerous.
- Hypoxia: This is where there is a reduction of oxygen supply to parts of the body below what is required for adequate perfusion
- Idiopathic liver cirrhosis: Cirrhosis is defined histologically as a diffuse hepatic process characterized by fibrosis and the conversion of normal liver architecture into structurally abnormal nodules. The progression of liver injury to cirrhosis may occur over weeks to years.
- Jaundice: yellowish discoloration of the skin and mucous membrane
- Liver cancer: The occurrence of malignancy that occurs in the liver
- Liver pain: Pain or discomfort due to the liver
- Liver problems: Any problems that are associated with the livers structure and function
- Liver symptoms: Symptoms affecting the liver
- Lymphoproliferative Syndrome, X-Linked, 1: A rare inherited immunodeficiency disorder where the body's immune systm is unable to respond appropriately to certain viral infections (Epstein Barr virus). The immune system becomes weakened following and EBV infection. As the condition in inherited in a X-linked manner, males tend to suffer the full extent of the disease which tends to be eventually fatal in most cases. Female carriers tend not to develop and problems following an EBV infection. Type 1 is linked to a defect on chromosome Xq25.@
- Lymphoproliferative Syndrome, X-Linked, 2: A rare inherited immunodeficiency disorder where the body's immune systm is unable to respond appropriately to certain viral infections (Epstein Barr virus). The immune system becomes weakened following and EBV infection. As the condition in inherited in a X-linked manner, males tend to suffer the full extent of the disease which tends to be eventually fatal in most cases. Female carriers tend not to develop and problems following an EBV infection. Type 2 is linked to a defect in the XIAP gene on chromosome Xq25.
- Medium-Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency: A rare disorder where the body lacks enzymes needed to convert some fats (medium-chain fatty acids) into energy and hence these fats build up in the body and cause damage.
- Mosse syndrome: A condition involving the association of liver cirrhosis with polycythemia which is a chronic myeloproliferative disorder characterized by the excessive production of mainly red blood cells by the bone marrow.
- Mouth symptoms: Symptoms of the mouth or oral area.
- Nerve symptoms: Symptoms affecting the nerves
- Neurological symptoms: Any symptoms that are caused by neurological conditions
- Occupational Cancer -- Liver cancer: Occupational exposure to vinyl chloride can increase the risk of developing liver cancer.
- Skin symptoms: Symptoms affecting the skin.
- Upper abdominal symptoms: Symptoms affecting the upper abdominal region.
- Uremic encephalopathy: occurs due to build up of toxins which are normally cleared by the kidneys
- Wernicke's encephalopathy: Brain condition with various effects
- Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome: A rare degenerative brain disorder caused by thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency. Chronic alcoholics are prone to this condition.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Hepatic encephalopathy:
The following list of conditions
have 'Hepatic encephalopathy' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Hepatic encephalopathy or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Hepatic encephalopathy:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Hepatic encephalopathy'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Hepatic failure
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: