Diagnostic Tests for Hyperpigmentation
Diagnostic Test list for Hyperpigmentation:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Hyperpigmentation
- Physical examination
- Examine the pigmented skin in area or areas affected and note pigmentation features
- Blood pressure ( postural lowering of blood pressure with Addison's disease)
- Examine for signs of Addison's disease such as dehydration; dull grey-brown pigmentation in the mouth (around the molars), hands and in new scars; loss of body hair
- Examine for signs of systemic disease that may be associated with the cause of the dark skin - e.g. scleroderma, hemochromatosis, polycystic ovarian disease.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Liver function tests (can diagnose jaundice and liver inflammation due to hemochromatosis)
- Electrolytes and kidney function tests ( high potassium in Addison's disease; elevated calcium in sarcoidosis)
- Iron studies ( raised ferritin and transferring saturation in hemochromatosis)
- Cortisol, ACTH assay, Synacthen stimulation test, adrenal antibodies if suspect Addison's disease
- Antinuclear, antinucleolar and anticentromere antibodies may be elevated in scleroderma
- HIV serology if suspect Kaposi's sarcoma
- Hepatitis serology if jaundice is diagnosed
- Skin biopsy of localized dark skin lesion - to assist diagnosis.
- Liver biopsy if suspect hemochromatosis
- Radiological investigations
- Chest X-Ray if suspect sarcoidosis
- Transbronchial biopsy - may be required if suspect sarcoidosis.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Hyperpigmentation:
The following list of conditions
have 'Hyperpigmentation' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Hyperpigmentation or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Hyperpigmentation:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Hyperpigmentation'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: