Diagnostic Tests for Increased intracranial pressure
Diagnostic Test list for Increased intracranial pressure:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Increased intracranial pressure
- Physical examination
- Blood pressure
- Temperature (if elevated must consider brain abscess or encephalitis)
- Examine for neck stiffness which may indicate subarachnoid hemorrhage but may also indicate cerebral abscess or encephalitis
- Examine for papilledema which may suggest cerebral abscess, brain hemorrhage or brain tumor
- Full neurological examination, including cranial nerve examination, visual fields and visual acuity, pupils reaction to light, eye movements, sensation and motor power of face and limbs
- Radiological investigations
- Skull X-Ray, if history of head injury
- CT Scan of brain, if suspected brain tumor, subarachnoid hemorrhage, brain abscess
- Radioisotope brain scan, may be indicated to localize specific brain tumors and haematomas (blood clots)
- MRI scan of brain, may be necessary if need more discrimination of brain masses
- Cerebral angiography, may be required to rule out arteriovenous malformations and to define site or blood supply of a brain mass
- Chest X-Ray to look for lung cancer, if brain tumor is diagnosed (lung cancer is the most common cause of brain cancer)
- EEG - may show electrical abnormalities in the region of the brain mass (but it may be normal). A cerebral abscess shows characteristic wave changes.
- Note: Lumbar puncture - is Contra-indicated if suspect any mass lesion.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Increased intracranial pressure causes:
- Brain & Neurological Disorders: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Increased intracranial pressure:
The following list of conditions
have 'Increased intracranial pressure' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Increased intracranial pressure or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Increased intracranial pressure:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Increased intracranial pressure'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: