Diagnostic Tests for Knee pain
Diagnostic Test list for Knee pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Knee pain
- Physical examination
- Inspect the knee with the person walking, standing and lying
- A systematic examination of the affected knee looking for signs of inflammation, deformity, swelling, disordered stability and reduced range of motion - e.g. tenderness and warmth indicates inflammation; redness of the skin over the joint indicates gout, pseudogout, rheumatic fever or septic arthritis.
- Full physical examination looking for signs of systemic disease that can predispose or present with joint pain - e.g. rash and pitted nails of psoriasis; Raynaud's phenomenon of rheumatoid arthritis; doughnut-shaped rash of Lyme disease; butterfly rash of systemic lupus erythematosus; abdominal tenderness of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease; heart murmur of rheumatic fever or subacute bacterial endocarditis.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count, ESR and CRP
- Renal function tests and Electrolytes
- ASO titre, if suspect rheumatic fever
- Arthritis screen depending on suspicion including Rheumatoid factor, ANA and ENA antibodies, HLA-B27
- Uric acid (marker of gout)
- Coagulation profile
- Blood cultures, if fever
- Lyme disease serology
- Iron studies, if suspect hemochromatosis
- Urine tests
- Urinalysis for blood, sugar and protein
- 24 hour urinary uric acid, if suspect gout
- Radiological examination
- X-Ray of knee may show a fracture, osteoarthritis changes and punched out lesion of gout and pseudogout
- MRI may be indicated to diagnose torn menisci or other conditions
- Bone survey at times may be indicated
- Mantoux test - if suspect tuberculosis.
- Synovial fluid analysis and culture - should be done if there is sufficient joint fluid.
- Urethral discharge smear and culture, if urethral discharge is present
- Arthroscopic examination by an Orthopedic specialist may be necessary
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Knee pain causes:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Knee pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Knee pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Knee pain or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Knee pain:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Knee pain'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: