Diagnostic Tests for Low blood pressure
Diagnostic Test list for Low blood pressure:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Low blood pressure
- Physical examination
- Inspect for pallor of skin and conjunctiva which may suggest anemia or shock
- Inspect for increased pigmentation of the skin which may suggest Addison's disease. The increased pigmentation of Addison's disease is characterized by the "sun kissed" pigmentation of the nipples, palmar creases, pressure area and mouth
- Look for signs of shock - e.g. elevated heart rate, low blood pressure, mottled skin, altered level of consciousness, reduced urine output.
- Blood pressure taken when lying down and again after rapidly arising to standing position - Postural drop in blood pressure suggests orthostatic hypotension. Hypotension is a relative term e.g. an elderly person whose usual blood pressure is 190/100 may be in shock with a blood pressure of 120/80. An infant's normal blood pressure may be 80/60.
- Temperature. If elevated, may suggest septic shock and should examine for possible sites of infection such as lungs, urine or central nervous system
- Cardiovascular examination looking for signs of an enlarged heart or a heart murmur. These findings would suggest mitral valvular disease, aortic stenosis or congestive cardiac failure
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Electrolytes - (e.g. high potassium in Addison's disease).
- Renal function tests
- Fasting blood sugar
- Thyroid function tests
- Serum cortisol and ACTH stimulation test and adrenal antibodies if suspect Addison's disease
- Blood culture , if fever is present
- Urine tests
- Urine microscopy and culture, looking for evidence of infection
- 24 hour Blood pressure monitoring
- Arterial blood gases (ABGs)
- Radiological investigations
- Chest X-Ray looking for signs of congestive cardiac failure
- Echocardiogram should be performed if enlarged heart or heart murmur is found on physical examination
- Skull X-Ray can be done to rule out pituitary tumors
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Visual field examination - should be done if suspect pituitary tumor.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Low blood pressure causes:
- High Cholesterol: Home Testing:
- High Blood Pressure: Home Testing
- Heart Health: Home Testing:
- Fatigue: Related Home Tests:
- Home Anemia Diagnostic Tests
- Diet & Weight Loss: Home Testing:
- Diabetes: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Low blood pressure:
The following list of conditions
have 'Low blood pressure' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Low blood pressure or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Low blood pressure:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Low blood pressure'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: