Diagnostic Tests for Lower back pain
Diagnostic Test list for Lower back pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Lower back pain
- General inspection
- Posture, gait, level of distress
- Physical examination
- Inspect the lower back, examine range of movement of the back to reproduce pain, palpation of the back
- Neurological examination of the lower limbs
- Examine hip and sacro-iliac joints
- General medical examination if appropriate - e.g. rectal examination.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Calcium, phosphate and alkaline phosphatase
- Prostatic specific antigen (PSA) in males if appropriate
- HLA-B27 antigen test fro Ankylosing Spondylitis and Reiter's disease
- Rheumatoid factor for Rheumatoid arthritis
- Serum electrophoresis for Multiple myeloma
- Blood culture for vertebral osteomyelitis
- Mantoux test - if suspect Skeletal tuberculosis.
- Urine tests
- Urinalysis and culture to detect Urinary tract infection
- Radiological investigations
- X-Ray of Lumbosacral spinal - can detect arthritis changes, fractures, reduced bone mass, reduced bone height, spondylolisthesis.
- CT or MRI of lumbosacral spine - perform if radiation of pain into trunk or legs or if the person has persistent back pain. Can detect spinal canal stenosis or nerve root compression.
- Bone scan - can detect the early development of malignant disease, osteomyelitis and inflammatory disease before changes are apparent on plain X-Ray.
- Bone densitometry - can predict an increased risk of osteoporosis.
- Electromyographic (EMG) studies - to screen leg pain and differentiate neurological diseases from nerve compression syndromes.
- If the above investigations are negative, the possibility of a non- neurological or non-orthopedic condition causing the back pain should be considered e.g. abdominal ultrasound scan to rule out aortic aneurysm; pelvic tumor ; Prostatic tumor
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Lower back pain causes:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Lower back pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Lower back pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Lower back pain or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: