Diagnostic Tests for Male sexual symptoms
Diagnostic Test list for Male sexual symptoms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Male sexual symptoms
- Physical examination
- Blood pressure
- Palpate peripheral pulses (to determine if there are abnormalities to the blood supply)
- Test nerve function by testing reflexes and sensation
- Examine genital area and note features of any sores - e.g. ulcer, lump or warts.
- Genital examination looking for evidence Peyronie's disease and checking size, shape and consistency of the testicles and penis
- Examine groin lymph nodes for enlargement which may indicate infection or malignant tumor of the penis
- Digital rectal examination to assess prostate size, consistency and tenderness
- Examine for the loss of secondary sexual characteristics - may suggest Klinefelter's syndrome.
- Examine for signs of Cushing's syndrome? - e.g. thin skin, bruising, high blood pressure, stretch marks, proximal muscle weakness, acne, pigmentation, excess hair on face, frontal balding in males, moon face, buffalo hump, truncal obesity, fluid retention. Cushing's syndrome is associated with low libido.
- Mental state examination (to help detect depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder and other psychiatric diagnoses that may affect male sexual function) - including appearance, behavior, rate and continuity of speech, mood, affect, thought content, evidence of any hallucinations or abnormal beliefs, orientation to time, place and person, attention and concentration, short-term memory, insight and judgement.
- Blood tests
- Blood lipid levels including cholesterol and triglycerides (looking for vascular disease)
- Fasting blood sugar (looking for diabetes)
- Liver function (looking for drug or alcohol problem)
- Iron studies (looking for hemochromatosis) - look for elevated ferritin and a transferring saturation of greater than 60%).
- Electrolytes and renal function - e.g. looking for low potassium in Cushing's syndrome (associated with low libido) due to adrenal tumors.
- Thyroid function tests
- Total testosterone and DHEA-S levels (for libido)
- Free testosterone, total testosterone, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), free androgen index if suspect testicular failure in males with low libido
- If testosterone is low, test FSH, LH and prolactin levels
- Prostate specific antigen (PSA) levels
- Syphilis serology, if indicated
- Long Dexamethasone suppression test - diagnoses Cushing's syndrome and can differentiate pituitary from adrenal cause of Cushing's syndrome.
- Urine tests
- Urine microscopy and culture
- Urine drug screen, if indicated
- If suspect Cushing's syndrome, test for increased 24 hour free cortisol
- Radiological investigations
- Transrectal ultrasound, if suspect prostate cancer
- MRI spine, if suspect multiple sclerosis and other spinal cord lesions
- Nocturnal tumescent study - an electronic computerized test to detect and measure penile erections during sleep. It acts as a guide to differentiate between psychological cause (normal studies) and organic physical cause (poor function).
- Nerve conduction studies may be required to rule out diabetic neuropathy as a cause of sexual dysfunction
- Electrophysiological tests such as visual-evoked response (VER) - may be required to diagnose Multiple sclerosis.
- Incisional biopsy of any genital lump may be indicated - to differentiate between a tumor, a genital wart and a syphilitic chancre.
- Swab of any discharge from the foreskin - for microscopy and culture.
- Liver biopsy, if suspect hemochromatosis
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Male sexual symptoms causes:
- Home STD Testing
- Sexuality & Libido: Home Testing:
- Liver Health & Hepatitis: Home Testing
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Male sexual symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Male sexual symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Male sexual symptoms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Male sexual symptoms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Male sexual symptoms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: