Diagnostic Tests for Menopause
Diagnostic Test list for Menopause:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Menopause
- Physical examination
- Blood pressure
- Weight and height
- Breast examination
- Abdominal palpation
- Aginal examination noting the texture of the vaginal lining
- Blood tests
- Full blood count (anemia may present with similar symptoms to menopause)
- Liver function tests
- Estrogen , FSH if diagnosis is in doubt (such as in perimenopause, younger women less than age 45 and if woman has had hysterectomy)
- Cholesterol, including HDL (good cholesterol)
- Thyroid function tests (low and high thyroid function may present with similar symptoms to menopause)
- Parathyroid hormone ( high parathyroid function may present with similar symptoms to menopause)
- Urine tests
- Pap smear - should be kept up to date.
- Radiological investigations
- Bone density study, if risk factors for osteoporosis
- Diagnostic hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy - may be required if undiagnosed vaginal bleeding is present to rule out endometrial cancer (cancer of the womb).
- FSH level blood test
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Menopause causes:
- Osteoporosis & Bone Health: Home Testing:
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
- Vaginal Health: Home Testing:
- Sexuality & Libido: Home Testing:
- Breast Cancer: Related Home Tests:
Tests and diagnosis discussion for Menopause:
In younger women who are having
menopausal symptoms, and in women who have had a hysterectomy but still
have one or both of their ovaries, a blood test called an FSH level, or
follicle stimulating hormone level may be useful to confirm menopause. (Source: excerpt from Menopause: NWHIC)
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Menopause:
The following list of conditions
have 'Menopause' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Menopause or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Menopause:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Menopause'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: