Diagnostic Tests for Menstrual irregularities
Diagnostic Test list for Menstrual irregularities:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Menstrual irregularities
- Physical examination
- Examine for signs of bleeding disorder - e.g. widespread bruising, swollen joints, bleeding gums.
- Speculum examination looking for cervicitis, cervical "erosion", cervical cancer, cervical polyps
- Bimanual pelvic examination to feel for signs of fibroids, pregnancy, pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy
- Blood tests
- Full blood count (looking for anemia due to blood loss and reduced platelets indicating a bleeding disorder)
- Iron studies
- Electrolytes and renal function tests
- Thyroid function tests
- Pregnancy test (to exclude ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage)
- Coagulation profile to help rule out acquired or hereditary bleeding disorders
- More sophisticated bleeding disorder tests depending on suspicion - e.g. von Willebrand's disease, platelet function studies, platelet antibodies.
- ANA autoantibodies looking for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- Urine tests
- First pass urine PCR test for Chlamydia and gonorrhea, if suspect pelvic inflammatory disease
- Pap smear
- High Vaginal swab - for microscopy and culture.
- Endocervical swab - for Chlamydia, if suspect pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Radiological investigations
- Ransvaginal pelvic ultrasound scan can detect fibroids and thickened endometrial lining (lining of the uterus)
- CT Scan of abdomen and pelvis may be indicated
- Hysteroscopy with endometrial sampling - may be useful for detecting endometrial polyps, fibroids, endometrial cancer.
- Dilatation and curettage - collects a larger quantity of endometrial lining for microscopic evaluation. It is most invasive than hysteroscopy and endometrial sampling.
- Laparoscopy - may be required to diagnose endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease or other pelvic disease.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Menstrual irregularities causes:
- Pregnancy -- Related Home Testing:
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
- Vaginal Health: Home Testing:
- Breast Cancer: Related Home Tests:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Menstrual irregularities:
The following list of conditions
have 'Menstrual irregularities' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Menstrual irregularities or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Menstrual irregularities:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Menstrual irregularities'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: