Diagnostic Tests for Mouth pain
Diagnostic Test list for Mouth pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Mouth pain
- Physical examination
- Examine health of lips, mouth, gums and teeth . Note dental hygiene, mouth ulcers, mouth trauma from dentures and signs of mouth infections
- Inspect and tap each tooth for tenderness which may indicate a alveolar abscess
- Feel cervical lymph nodes (glands) for enlargement - e.g. with lip cancers, herpes simplex labialis.
- Full physical examination may reveal features of systemic disease - e.g. Diabetes mellitus, Cancer, HIV infection.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Blood sugar to diagnose Diabetes
- HIV serology, if indicated
- Raised Immunoglobulin levels and presence of certain autoantibodies may suggest diagnosis of Sjogren's syndrome - e.g. Rheumatoid factor, antinuclear antibodies, antimitochondrial antibodies, Anti-Ro (SSA) antibodies.
- Serum iron, Vitamin B12, folate
- Serum zinc
- Erythrocyte glutathione reductase activity ( Vitamin B2 status) - not widely available.
- Erythrocyte aminotransferase activity (Vitamin B6 status) - not widely available.
- Radiological investigations
- X-Ray of teeth to look for dental caries or abscess
- X-Ray of temporomandibular joint
- Swab of any ulcer - for viral and bacterial culture.
- Skin or mucosal (lining of the oral cavity) biopsy - may be required to assist diagnosis.
- Skin scraping of the lip or mouth surface - if suspect Candida infection (not uncommon in people with HIV disease).
- Dentist opinion
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Mouth pain causes:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Mouth pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Mouth pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Mouth pain or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: