Diagnostic Tests for Mouth ulcers
Diagnostic Test list for Mouth ulcers:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Mouth ulcers
- Physical examination
- Examine health of lips, mouth, gums and teeth. Note dental hygiene, mouth ulcers, mouth trauma from dentures and signs of mouth infections
- Feel cervical lymph nodes (glands) for enlargement - e.g. with lip cancers, herpes simplex labialis.
- Full physical examination may reveal features of systemic disease - e.g. Cancer, HIV infection, Syphilis, tuberculosis, Ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Blood sugar to diagnose Diabetes
- HIV serology, if indicated
- Serum iron, Vitamin B12, folate
- Serum zinc
- Syphilis serology, if indicated
- Erythrocyte glutathione reductase activity ( Vitamin B2 status) - not widely available.
- Erythrocyte aminotransferase activity (Vitamin B6 status) - not widely available.
- Swab of any ulcer - for viral and bacterial culture.
- Skin or mucosal (lining of the oral cavity) biopsy - may be required to assist diagnosis e.g. syphilitic chancre, histoplasmosis or cancer.
- Skin scraping of the lip or mouth surface - if suspect Candida infection (not uncommon in people with HIV disease).
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Mouth ulcers:
The following list of conditions
have 'Mouth ulcers' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Mouth ulcers or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Mouth ulcers:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Mouth ulcers'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: