Diagnostic Tests for Muscle aches
Diagnostic Test list for Muscle aches:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Muscle aches
- Physical examination
- Inspect muscles involved for muscle wasting which indicates a primary muscle disease, wasting due to disuse or pathology of the nerve supplying the muscle
- Peripheral nervous system examination including muscular tone, power, reflexes and coordination
- Feel the pulses in the legs - if reduced or absent should suggest arterial embolism, peripheral atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) or obstruction of the abdominal aorta and its branches by.
- Inspect for signs of peripheral vascular disease - e.g. reduced or absent pulses, cool pale extremities, loss of hair on lower feet and legs, ulcers on foot, gangrene of skin on toes.
- Mental state examination (to detect possible depression) - including appearance, behavior, rate and continuity of speech, mood, affect, thought content, evidence of any hallucinations or abnormal beliefs, orientation to time, place and person, attention and concentration, short-term memory, insight and judgement.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Electrolytes (to detect low potassium, low sodium and low calcium which may cause generalized muscle aches)
- ANA autoantibodies to detect systemic lupus erythematosus
- Muscle enzymes, if suspect muscle disease
- Trichinella antibodies, if suspected
- Urine tests
- 24 hour Urine creatine and Creatinine (if suspect muscle disease)
- Porphyrins and porphobilinogen, in difficult diagnostic cases
- 24 hour potassium, sodium or calcium
- Radiological investigations
- Doppler studies and arteriography, if peripheral pulses are absent or reduced
- Muscle biopsy - may be necessary to diagnose dermatomyositis, trichinosis, cysticercosis.
- Electromyogram (EMG) and nerve conduction studies - may be helpful in both muscular disease and peripheral neuropathy.
- Spinal tap - will help diagnose poliomyelitis, meningitis and Guillain-Barre syndrome.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Muscle aches causes:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Muscle aches:
The following list of conditions
have 'Muscle aches' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Muscle aches or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Muscle aches:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Muscle aches'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: