Diagnostic Tests for Muscle spasms
Diagnostic Test list for Muscle spasms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Muscle spasms
- Physical examination
- Inspect for muscle fasciculations (irregular contractions of small areas of muscle which have no rhythmical pattern, are present at rest but not during voluntary movement). This suggests motor neurone disease which cause muscle cramps
- Observe for chorea (non- repetitive abrupt involuntary jerky movements) that can cause coordination problems. Causes of chorea include Huntington's chorea, Sydenham's chorea, Wilson's disease and senility
- Peripheral nervous system examination including muscular tone, power, reflexes and coordination
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Renal function tests (kidney failure may cause muscle cramps)
- Electrolytes (to detect signs of dehydration, low potassium, low sodium and low calcium which may cause generalized muscle aches and leg cramps)
- Muscle enzymes, if suspect muscle disease
- Urine tests
- 24 hour Urine creatine and Creatinine (if suspect muscle disease)
- Porphyrins and porphobilinogen, in difficult diagnostic cases
- 24 hour potassium, sodium or calcium
- 24 hour Urinary copper is increased in Wilson's disease
- Radiological investigations
- CT or MRI of the brain may be indicated
- Muscle biopsy - may be necessary to diagnose dermatomyositis which may cause muscle cramps.
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) - to diagnose epilepsy.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Muscle spasms causes:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Muscle spasms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Muscle spasms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Muscle spasms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Muscle spasms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Muscle spasms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: