Diagnostic Tests for Painful intercourse
Diagnostic Test list for Painful intercourse:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Painful intercourse
- Physical examination
- Examine genital area and note the features of any sores - e.g. ulcer, lump.
- Vaginal speculum examination to observe any discharge and lesions within the vagina and to allow swabs to be taken
- Manual vaginal examination to examine for masses, tenderness or enlarged uterus. If a mass around the ovaries or fallopian tubes is felt may suggest salpingo-oophoritis (infection of the ovaries and fallopian tubes), endometriosis with a cyst, malignancy ovarian tumor or ectopic pregnancy
- Rectal examination to detect hemorrhoids, anal fissures and severe constipation which may cause painful intercourse
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Pregnancy test, if suspected
- Tumor markers such as CA 125, HCG and alpha fetoprotein may assist in diagnosis and management of malignant ovarian tumor
- Urine tests
- Urinalysis to detect cystitis or bladder stone
- Urine microscopy and culture
- Urine pcr to detect Chlamydia and gonorrhea
- Radiological investigations
- Pelvic ultrasound, if there is a pelvic mass found on physical examination or if suspect ectopic pregnancy
- Vaginal swab for microscopy and culture
- Swab of cervical canal and rectum for microscopy and culture to test for gonorrhea and Chlamydia may also be necessary
- Swab and culture the base of any genital lesions - to diagnose genital herpes, syphilitic ulcer, Chancroid (Haemphilus ducreyi).
- Pap smear
- Biopsy of the vulval skin, if suspect vulval dystrophy, dermatitis, psoriasis, lichen simplex chronicus or vulval cancer
- Laparoscopy may be needed
- Exploratory laparotomy may be the only way to make a diagnosis in the case of a pelvic mass
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Painful intercourse causes:
- Home STD Testing
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
- Vaginal Health: Home Testing:
- Sexuality & Libido: Home Testing:
- Liver Health & Hepatitis: Home Testing
- Breast Cancer: Related Home Tests:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Painful intercourse:
The following list of conditions
have 'Painful intercourse' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Painful intercourse or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Painful intercourse:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Painful intercourse'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: