Glossary for Painful joints
Medical terms related to Painful joints or mentioned in this section include:
- Abdominal Cancer: Growth of abnormal cells (tumour) affecting the organs in the abdominal cavity; may be due to primary growth of a tumour or spread from another tumour (metastases, secondary tumour)
- Ankylosing Spondylitis: A form of chronic inflammation of the spine which may also affect joints in the shoulder, hip, neck, ribs and jaw. May result in loss of mobility. Also called Marie-Strumpell disease.
- Bearn-Kunkel syndrome: A type of autoimmune liver disease characterized by liver damage, very high blood gammaglobulin levels and increased plasma cells.
- Body symptoms: Symptoms affecting the entire body features.
- Brain symptoms: Symptoms affecting the brain
- Bursitis: inflammation of one or more bursae (small sacs) of synovial fluid in the body.
- Chikungunya: A rare viral disease usually transmitted by mosquitoes and characterized by fever, rash and severe arthritis.
- Common symptoms: The most common symptoms
- Decompression sickness: Condition from overly rapid decompression, especially when diving.
- Dermatomyositis: A muscle disease characterized by chronic muscle inflammation resulting in progressive muscle weakness and a characteristic rash.
- Fractures: Breakage of bones
- Gout: Painful joints, most commonly the big toe.
- Head symptoms: Symptoms affecting the head or brain
- Hemophilia: Blood disease usually genetic causing failure to clot.
- Joint pain: Pain affecting the joints
- Joint symptoms: Symptoms affecting the joints.
- Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis: Chronic arthritis affecting children and teens
- Leptospirosis: Bacterial infection usually caught from animal urine.
- Lyme disease: Lyme disease is an emerging infectious disease caused by at least three species of bacteria belonging to the genus Borrelia.
- Musculoskeletal symptoms: Symptoms affecting muscles or bones of the skeleton.
- Nerve symptoms: Symptoms affecting the nerves
- Neurological symptoms: Any symptoms that are caused by neurological conditions
- Osteoarthritis: A form of degenerative arthritis due to chronic degeneration
- Osteomyelitis: An infection that occurs in bone
- Pain: Any type of pain sensation symptoms.
- Polymyalgia rheumatica: A condition characterized by muscle pain and stiffness, fatigue and fever. It is often associated with giant-cell arteritis which is a related but more serious condition.
- Pseudogout: A condition which is characterized by an acute inflammatory arthropathy caused by calcium pyrophosphate crystals
- Q fever: A disease caused by Coxiella burnetti which causes fever, headache and muscle pain.
- Reiterís syndrome: A form of reactive arthritis characterized by arthritis, urethritis, conjunctivitis and skin lesions.
- Rheumatic fever: An inflammatory disorder that can occur as a complication of untreated streptococcal bacterial infection such as strep throat or scarlet fever. The condition may affect the brain, skin, heart and joints.
- Rheumatism: Rheumatism is a colloquial term used to describe a range of conditions which are considered to be rheumatalogical disorders. These may include conditions affecting the heart, lung, bones, joint, kidney and skin.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: An autoimmune inflammatory condition which primarily affects the joints
- Ross River virus: Mosquito-borne virus in parts of Australia and other countries
- Scleroderma: A rare, progressive connective tissue disorder involving thickening and hardening of the skin and connective tissue. There are a number of forms of scleroderma with some forms being systemic (involving internal organs).
- Sensations: Changes to sensations or the senses
- Sensory symptoms: Symptoms affecting the sensory systems.
- Skeletal symptoms: Symptoms affecting the skeletal system such as the bones.
- Skin symptoms: Symptoms affecting the skin.
- Slap-cheek syndrome: Viral infection where children get rosy cheeks.
- Syphilis: A sexually transmitted disease caused by a bacteria (Treponema pallidum). The condition is often asymptomatic in the early stages but one or more sores may be present in the early stages. Untreated syphilis usually results in remission of visible symptoms but further severe damage may occur to internal organs and other body tissues which can result in death.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus: chronic autoimmune disease that can be fatal, though with recent medical advances, fatalities are becoming increasingly rare.
- Tendinitis: a painful inflammation of a tendon
- Wegener's granulomatosis: A rare disease involving blood vessel inflammation which can affect the blood flow to various tissues and organs and hence cause damage. The respiratory system and the kidneys are the main systems affected.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Painful joints:
The following list of conditions
have 'Painful joints' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Painful joints or choose View All.
» Next page: Painful limp
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: