Diagnostic Tests for Pelvic pain
Diagnostic Test list for Pelvic pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Pelvic pain
- Physical examination
- Look for signs of shock? - e.g. reduced blood pressure, increased heart rate - suggesting acute ruptured ectopic pregnancy or ruptured appendix.
- Temperature. If temperature is elevated must consider pelvic inflammatory disease, diverticulitis, appendicitis, urinary tract infection or osteomyelitis
- Gentle Abdominal and pelvic examination feeling for tenderness, mass or rigidity of the abdominal wall
- Manual vaginal examination to feel for any tenderness or pelvic mass. The presence of a pelvic mass would suggest pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy, endometriosis, fibroid in the uterus or an ovarian tumor
- Speculum vaginal examination looking for a vaginal discharge which suggests pelvic inflammatory disease
- Rectal examination - noting any tenderness, masses or blood.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Pregnancy test
- Blood cultures, if fever is present
- Syphilis screen
- Tumor markers such as CA 125, HCG and alpha fetoprotein may assist in diagnosis and management of malignant ovarian tumor
- Urine tests
- Urine sample for microscopy and culture to detect urinary tract infection
- First pass urine pcr for Chlamydia and gonorrhea
- Pap smear
- Swab of vaginal discharge for microscopy and culture - to test for gonorrhea and Chlamydia.
- Swab of cervical canal and rectum for microscopy and culture to test for gonorrhea and Chlamydia
- Stool tests
- Test for occult blood (if positive may suggest diverticulitis)
- Radiological investigations
- Pelvic ultrasound scan
- CT Scan of the pelvis and abdomen may be necessary
- X-Ray, CT Scan or MRI Scan of the pubic bones, if suspect
- Osteomyelitis or bone tumor
- Bone Scan will help diagnose osteomyelitis or tumor of the pubic bones
- Surgical Laparoscopy or exploratory laparotomy - may be performed.
- Colonoscopy - may help to diagnose diverticulitis.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Pelvic pain causes:
- Pregnancy -- Related Home Testing:
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
- Vaginal Health: Home Testing:
- Breast Cancer: Related Home Tests:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Pelvic pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Pelvic pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Pelvic pain or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Pelvic pain:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Pelvic pain'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: