Diagnostic Tests for Personality symptoms
Diagnostic Test list for Personality symptoms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Personality symptoms
- Mental state examination - including appearance, behavior, rate and continuity of speech, mood, affect, thought content, evidence of any hallucinations or abnormal beliefs, orientation to time, place and person, attention and concentration, short-term memory, insight and judgement - Can help diagnose depression, anxiety and psychosis.
- Mini-mental state examination - if dementia is suspected test memory and cognitive function.
- Physical examination
- Signs of delirium? - examine for signs that personality symptoms may be due to delirium rather than mental illness or dementia (e.g. temperature, neck stiffness may suggest meningitis, encephalitis or subarachnoid hemorrhage; neurological examination to look for focal neurological signs and papilledema may suggest stroke, brain cancer or traumatic brain injury).
- If suspect multi-infarct dementia, examine for signs of vascular pathology e.g. high blood pressure, signs of previous strokes
- Blood tests (if warranted)
- Full blood count and ESR for evidence of infection and inflammation
- Electrolytes and renal function tests
- Blood sugar
- Liver function tests
- Thyroid function tests
- Vitamin B12 and folate levels
- Syphilis and HIV screening, if appropriate
- Blood cultures, if fever of unknown origin
- Viral serology tests
- Serum cortisol and cortisol suppression test, if suspect Cushing's syndrome
- Serum FSH and estradiol level, if suspect menopause
- Epstein-Barr serology (post-infective state may present with depression-like symptoms)
- ANA antibody to detect lupus erythematosus
- Urine tests
- Urine analysis
- Urine microscopy and culture - especially in elderly to rule out a urinary tract infection as a cause of delirium and personality symptoms.
- Urine drug screen - consider if suspect illicit drug abuse.
- Radiological investigations
- CT Scan Brain - to rule out brain cancer, stroke, traumatic brain injury and signs of dementia.
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) - to rule out temporal lobe epilepsy as a cause of personality symptoms.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Personality symptoms causes:
- Child Behavior: Home Testing
- Mental Health (Adults): Home Testing
- Home Drug Tests
- Smoking-Related Disorders: Home Testing:
- Mental Health: Home Testing:
- Brain & Neurological Disorders: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Personality symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Personality symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Personality symptoms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Personality symptoms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Personality symptoms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: