Prevalence and Incidence of Thyroid disorders
Prevalance of Thyroid disorders:
20 million Americans (NWHIC) ... see also overview of Thyroid disorders.
approx 1 in 13 or 7.35% or 20 million people in USA [Source statistic for calcuation: "20 million Americans (NWHIC)" -- see also general information about data sources]
Prevalance of types of Thyroid disorders:
For details see prevalence of types of Thyroid disorders analysis; summary of available prevalence data:
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis: 1,490,371 adults and 205,159 children in the USA 1996 1
- Graves' disease: 3,048,636 people in the USA 1996 1; 1.3 million people (NWHIC)
- Autoimmune thyroid diseases: 4 out of 100 women some type of autoimmune thyroid disease
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2: about 1 per 300 000 people suffer from multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 in the US, Genetics Home Reference website
- Congenital hypothyroidsim: 1 per 3,000 - 4,000 newborns are affected by congenital hypothyroidsim in North America, Europe, Japan and Australia, Genetics Home Reference website
- more types of Thyroid disorders...»
Incidence of types of Thyroid disorders:
For details see incidence of types of Thyroid disorders analysis; summary of available incidence by type data:
Undiagnosed prevalence of Thyroid disorders:
about 13 million (based on estimates from the AACE, as reported by Reader's Digest 2; estimated 8 million people (American Medical Women's Association) ... see also misdiagnosis of Thyroid disorders.
Undiagnosed prevalence rate:
approx 1 in 20 or 4.78% or 13 million people in USA [about data] ... Note: this rate calculation uses the following statistic: about 13 million (based on estimates from the AACE, as reported by Reader's Digest 2; estimated 8 million people (American Medical Women's Association)
Undiagnosed prevalence statistics about Thyroid disorders:
The following statistics relate to undiagnosed cases of Thyroid disorders:
Lifetime risk for Thyroid disorders:
1 in 8 women during their lifetime in the US (American Medical Women’s Association); 1 in 8 for women (NWHIC)
Prevalance of Thyroid disorders:
About 20 million
Americans have some form of thyroid disease, including many who may not be
aware of their condition. (Source: excerpt from Thyroid Disease: NWHIC)
Prevelance statistics for Thyroid disorders:
The following statistics relate to the prevalence of Thyroid disorders:
- 27 per 1000 (NHIS95: "goiter and thyroid disorders")
- 1 in 4,000 babies (NWHIC)
- 13 million in the US (American Medical Women’s Association)
- more statistics...»
More Statistics about Thyroid disorders:
All statistics for Thyroid disorders
About prevalence and incidence statistics:
The term 'prevalence' of Thyroid disorders usually refers to the estimated population
of people who are managing Thyroid disorders at any given time.
The term 'incidence' of Thyroid disorders refers to the annual diagnosis rate,
or the number of new cases of Thyroid disorders diagnosed each year.
Hence, these two statistics types can differ:
a short-lived disease like flu can have high annual incidence but low prevalence,
but a life-long disease like diabetes has a low annual incidence but high prevalence.
For more information see about prevalence and incidence statistics.
» Next page: Types of Thyroid disorders
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: