Truncal obesity: Introduction
Truncal obesity: Abdominal obesity, colloquially known as belly fat or clinically as central obesity, is the accumulation of visceral fat resulting in an increase in waist size. There is a strong correlation between central obesity and cardiovascular disease. The absolute waist circumference (>102 centimetres (40 in) in men and >88 centimetres (35 in) in women) and the waist-hip ratio (>0.9 for men and >0.85 for women) are both used as measures of central obesity.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Truncal obesity is available below.
Symptoms of Truncal obesity
- An excess of visceral fat is known as central obesity, the "pot belly" or "beer belly" effect, in which the abdomen protrudes excessively. This body type is also known as "apple shaped", as opposed to "pear" shape, in which fat is deposited on the hips and buttocks.
- more symptoms...»
Read more about symptoms of Truncal obesity
Treatments for Truncal obesity
- Adjunctive therapies which may be prescribed by a physician are orlistat or sibutramine. In the presence of diabetes mellitus type 2, the physician might instead prescribe metformin and thiazolidinediones (rosiglitazone or pioglitazone) as anti-diabetic drugs rather than sulfonylurea derivatives. Thiazolidinediones may cause slight weight gain but decrease "pathologic" abdominal fat, and therefore may be prescribed for diabetics with central obesity
- Lifestyle modification is the cornerstone of management and includes:
- Dietary modification:
- Low Calorie Diet - 800-1500 calories
- Very Low-Calorie Diet (VLCD) - less than 800 calories - should only be undertaken under medical supervision
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Truncal obesity
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Truncal obesity:
- Diet & Weight Loss: Home Testing:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Truncal obesity?
Truncal obesity: Related Patient Stories
Alternative Treatments for Truncal obesity
Alternative treatments or home remedies that have been listed in various sources as possibly beneficial for Truncal obesity may include:
- Regular and frequent aerobic exercise at least four times a week
- Disperse two or more workouts in a day
- Cut saturated fat from the diet
- more treatments »
Truncal obesity: Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Truncal obesity:
Causes of Truncal obesity
- The immediate cause of obesity is net energy imbalance--the organism consumes more usable calories than it expends, wastes, or discards via elimination. The fundamental cause of obesity is not well understood, but is presumably a combination of the organism's genes and environment. The specific cause of central distribution of fat is also not well understood
- In humans, central obesity is correlated with overeating and a sedentary lifestyle. Hypercortisolism, such as in Cushings syndrome also leads to central obesity. Many prescription drugs can also have side effects resulting in obesity
- more causes...»
Read more about causes of Truncal obesity
More information about causes of Truncal obesity:
Misdiagnosis and Truncal obesity
Metabolic syndrome often undiagnosed: Metabolic syndrome, also known as Syndrome X, is
an often overlooked medical condition that causes a cluster of chronic symptoms.
There are often four symptoms and...read more »
Over-diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension in obese patients: A diagnosis
of pulmonary hypertension, particularly pulmonary arterial hypertension,
is often a misdiagnosis in...read more »
Obesity-related conditions undiagnosed in children: A variety of conditions
are associated with obesity (see obesity), but these tend to be undiagnosed more often...read more »
Misdiagnosed weight-related causes of infertility: A woman's weight status
can affect her level of fertility.
Although obesity or overweight can...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Truncal obesity
Truncal obesity: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Evidence Based Medicine Research for Truncal obesity
Medical research articles related to Truncal obesity include:
Click here to find more evidence-based articles on the TRIP Database
Truncal obesity: Animations
More Truncal obesity animations & videos
Prognosis for Truncal obesity
Prognosis for Truncal obesity:
Performing adequate aerobic exercise and eating a healthy diet prevent central obesity, and losing weight via these methods is the main way to reverse the condition.
More about prognosis of Truncal obesity
Research about Truncal obesity
Visit our research pages for current research about Truncal obesity treatments.
Truncal obesity: Broader Related Topics
Types of Truncal obesity
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Truncal obesity, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Truncal obesity:
» Next page: What is Truncal obesity?
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: