Treatments for Viral meningitis
Treatments for Viral meningitis:
The first step in treating viral meningitis is preventing its occurrence and spread. Prevention of the spread of viral meningitis includes frequent hand washing and covering the mouth and nose with a tissue when sneezing or coughing.
Treatment of viral meningitis includes rest, pain medications and anti-fever medications, such as Tylenol, and drinking extra fluids to maintain good hydration.
Some types of viral meningitis may be treated with antiviral drugs. Antibiotics are not given because they are designed to treat bacterial infections, such as bacterial meningitis, and are not effective in treating viral meningitis.
In some cases, hospitalization may be necessary. This may occur when a person with viral meningitis becomes dehydrated and needs IV administration of fluids through a vein. This complication is more likely in infants and older adults. People with chronic diseases and compromised immune systems are also at risk for complications and may require hospitalization.
People who have had close contact with a person with viral meningitis, such as family members, friends, schoolmates, roommates, and health care workers, should be evaluated for the disease, even in the absence of symptoms.
Treatment List for Viral meningitis
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
for Viral meningitis
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
- Watchful waiting
- Symptomatic and supportive treatment
- HSV, varicella and CMV have a specific antiviral therapy; most other viruses do not. For HSV the treatment of choice is acyclovir
- Treatment is needed for fungal or mycobacterial causes of aseptic meningitis. Herpesvirus/varicella (chicken pox) virus can be treated with anti-viral medicines. Supportive treatment for non-infectious causes consists of pain medications and management of complications, if they occur
- No specific treatment is available for enteroviral aseptic meningitis
Viral meningitis: Is the Diagnosis Correct?
The first step in getting correct treatment is
to get a correct diagnosis.
Differential diagnosis list for Viral meningitis may include:
Hidden causes of Viral meningitis may be incorrectly diagnosed:
Viral meningitis: Marketplace Products, Discounts & Offers
Products, offers and promotion categories available for Viral meningitis:
Viral meningitis: Research Doctors & Specialists
- Nerve Specialists:
- Ear, Nose & Throat Specialists:
- Neurology (Brain/CNS Specialists):
- Child Health Specialists (Pediatrics):
- more specialists...»
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Hospital statistics for Viral meningitis:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Viral meningitis:
- 0.02% (3,040) of hospital episodes were for viral infections of the central nervous system in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 78% of hospital consultations for viral infections of the central nervous system required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 47% of hospital episodes for viral infections of the central nervous system were for men in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 53% of hospital episodes for viral infections of the central nervous system were for women in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 89% of hospital admissions for viral infections of the central nervous system required emergency hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Hospitals & Medical Clinics: Viral meningitis
Research quality ratings and patient incidents/safety measures
for hospitals and medical facilities in specialties related to Viral meningitis:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Treatment Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Viral meningitis,
on hospital and medical facility performance and surgical care quality:
Discussion of treatments for Viral meningitis:
treatment for viral meningitis exists at this time. Most patients
recover completely on their own, and doctors often will recommend bed
rest, plenty of fluids, and medicine to relieve fever and headache. (Source: excerpt from Viral (Aseptic) Meningitis: DVRD
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Viral meningitis