Prognosis of Whooping Cough
Whooping Cough: Duration statistics
Duration of Whooping Cough: Typically about 7 weeks; has been called the "100-day cough" because it can last 100 days. ...see also Overview of Whooping Cough
Deaths and Mortality Rates
Deaths from Whooping Cough: 17 people died annually from whooping cough in the US 2001 (Deaths: Final Data for 2001, NCHS, 2001)
Estimated mortality rate for Whooping Cough from incidence and deaths statistics:
- Deaths: 16 (USA annual deaths calculated from this data:
17 people died annually from whooping cough in the US 2001 (Deaths: Final Data for 2001, NCHS, 2001))
- Incidence: 7,405 (USA annual incidence calculated from this data:
7,405 cases annually in USA (1998); under-diagnosis of cases in adults means the real prevalence may be much higher
- 0.23% (ratio of deaths to incidence).
- See also Deaths and Whooping Cough and Overview of Whooping Cough.
Complications of Whooping Cough may include:
Complications of Whooping Cough from the Diseases Database include:
Source: Diseases Database
See also complications of Whooping Cough.
Death Statistics for Whooping Cough
The following are statistics from various sources
about deaths related to Whooping Cough:
- 7 deaths reported in USA 1999 (NVSR Sep 2001)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) death statistics by worldwide region:
- About 131,000 deaths from pertussis (whooping cough) in Africa 2002 (The World Health Report, WHO, 2004)
- About 11,000 deaths from pertussis (whooping cough) in The Americas 2002 (The World Health Report, WHO, 2004)
- About 46,000 deaths from pertussis (whooping cough) in Eastern Mediterranean 2002 (The World Health Report, WHO, 2004)
- About 2,000 deaths from pertussis (whooping cough) in Western Pacific 2002 (The World Health Report, WHO, 2004)
- more death statistics...»
Whooping Cough: Research More
The 'prognosis' of Whooping Cough usually refers to the likely outcome
of Whooping Cough.
The prognosis of Whooping Cough
may include the duration of Whooping Cough, chances of complications of Whooping Cough,
prospects for recovery, recovery period for Whooping Cough, survival rates,
and other outcome possibilities in the overall prognosis of Whooping Cough.
Naturally, such forecast issues are by their nature unpredictable.
» Next page: Types of Whooping Cough
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: