Wrist osteoarthritis: Introduction
Wrist osteoarthritis: A form of arthritis where the cartilage which cushions the bones in the wrist joint as they move against each other, becomes progressively degraded and damaged. This causes problems such as pain, stiffness and impaired movement. Pain is not present in all cases however, with some patients imply suffering joint stiffness. Primary osteoarthritis occurs as the person ages but results from repetitive use and/or high mechanical stress on the joint. It is not a direct result of the aging process. Secondary osteoarthritis is the result of such things as injury to the joint, joint infection, obesity, ligament damage, joint overuse, hormonal problems, pregnancy and various other conditions. Family history seem to play a factor in developing the condition.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Wrist osteoarthritis is available below.
Symptoms of Wrist osteoarthritis
See full list of 16
symptoms of Wrist osteoarthritis
Treatments for Wrist osteoarthritis
- The damage is irreversible and treatment is aimed managing the pain, maintaining mobility of the joint and slowing the progression of the condition. Painkillers, anti-inflammatories, exercise and reducing stress on the joint may help alleviate symptoms. Studies have shown no conclusive benefits of supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin but some people may find they help. Joint replacement surgery may be required in severe cases that involve joints such as the hip or knee
- Treatment for arthritis depends on the severity of the symptoms, and the patients' age, general health and other medical conditions. Treatment is aimed at symptom control and modification of disease progression. Treatments include:
- Explanation - Education plays an important role in arthritis management
- Rest - during bouts of active inflammation
- Exercise - graduated exercise program recommended to maintain good joint function, especially in osteoarthritis
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Wrist osteoarthritis
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Wrist osteoarthritis:
- Osteoporosis & Bone Health: Home Testing:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Wrist osteoarthritis?
Causes of Wrist osteoarthritis
Read more about causes of Wrist osteoarthritis.
Disease Topics Related To Wrist osteoarthritis
Research the causes of these diseases that are similar to, or related to, Wrist osteoarthritis:
Wrist osteoarthritis: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Wrist osteoarthritis
Alzheimer's disease over-diagnosed: The well-known disease of Alzheimer's disease
is often over-diagnosed.
Patients tend to assume that any memory loss or forgetulness symptom might be Alzheimer's,
whereas...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course,...read more »
Tremor need not be Parkinson's disease: There is the tendency to believe that
any tremor symptom, or shakiness, means Parkinson's disease.
The reality...read more »
Leg cramps at night a classic sign: The symptom of having leg muscle cramps,
particularly at night, is a classic sign of undiagnosed diabetes.
However, there are also various...read more »
Rare diseases misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease: A rare genetic
disorder is often misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease for men in their 50's.
The disease Fragile X...read more »
Psoriatic arthritis often undiagnosed cause of joint conditions: Patients with the skin condition psoriasis
can also have the related arthritis subtype called "psoriatic arthritis"....read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Wrist osteoarthritis
Wrist osteoarthritis: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Bone, Joint and Orthopedic Specialists:
- Pain Specialists:
- Arthritis & Joint Health Specialists (Rheumatology):
- Senior Health Specialists (Geriatrics):
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Wrist osteoarthritis
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Wrist osteoarthritis:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Wrist osteoarthritis,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Wrist osteoarthritis: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Evidence Based Medicine Research for Wrist osteoarthritis
Medical research articles related to Wrist osteoarthritis include:
Click here to find more evidence-based articles on the TRIP Database
Wrist osteoarthritis: Animations
More Wrist osteoarthritis animations & videos
Prognosis for Wrist osteoarthritis
Prognosis for Wrist osteoarthritis:
Varies considerable - some cases progress intermittently whereas others stabilize for long periods of time.
More about prognosis of Wrist osteoarthritis
Research about Wrist osteoarthritis
Visit our research pages for current research about Wrist osteoarthritis treatments.
Wrist osteoarthritis: Broader Related Topics
Types of Wrist osteoarthritis
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Wrist osteoarthritis, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Wrist osteoarthritis: