Elbow Osteoarthritis: Introduction
Elbow Osteoarthritis: A form of arthritis where the cartilage which cushions the bones in the elbow joint as they move against each other, becomes progressively degraded and damaged. This causes problems such as pain, stiffness and impaired movement. Pain is not present in all cases however, with some patients imply suffering joint stiffness. Primary osteoarthritis occurs as the person ages but results from repetitive use and/or high mechanical stress on the joint. It is not a direct result of the aging process. Secondary osteoarthritis is the result of such things as injury to the joint, joint infection, obesity, ligament damage, joint overuse, hormonal problems, pregnancy and various other conditions. Family history seem to play a factor in developing the condition.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Elbow Osteoarthritis is available below.
Symptoms of Elbow Osteoarthritis
See full list of 16
symptoms of Elbow Osteoarthritis
Treatments for Elbow Osteoarthritis
- The damage is irreversible and treatment is aimed managing the pain, maintaining mobility of the joint and slowing the progression of the condition. Painkillers, anti-inflammatories, exercise and reducing stress on the joint may help alleviate symptoms. Studies have shown no conclusive benefits of supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin but some people may find they help. Joint replacement surgery may be required in severe cases that involve joints such as the hip or knee
- Treatment for osteoarthritis of the elbow depends on the severity of the symptoms, and the patients' age, general health and other medical conditions. Treatment is aimed at symptom control and modification of disease progression. Treatments include:
- Explanation - Education plays an important role in arthritis management
- Rest - during bouts of active inflammation
- Exercise - graduated exercise program recommended to maintain good joint function, especially in osteoarthritis
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Elbow Osteoarthritis
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Elbow Osteoarthritis:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Elbow Osteoarthritis?
Causes of Elbow Osteoarthritis
Read more about causes of Elbow Osteoarthritis.
Elbow Osteoarthritis: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Elbow Osteoarthritis
Alzheimer's disease over-diagnosed: The well-known disease of Alzheimer's disease
is often over-diagnosed.
Patients tend to assume that any memory loss or forgetulness symptom might be Alzheimer's,
whereas...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various medical conditions,
such as a stroke or Alzheimer's disease,...read more »
Tremor need not be Parkinson's disease: There is the tendency to believe that
any tremor symptom, or shakiness, means Parkinson's disease.
The reality is that there are...read more »
Leg cramps at night a classic sign: The symptom of having leg muscle cramps,
particularly at night, is a classic sign of undiagnosed diabetes....read more »
Rare diseases misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease: A rare genetic
disorder is often misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease for men in their 50's.
The disease ...read more »
Psoriatic arthritis often undiagnosed cause of joint conditions: Patients with the skin condition psoriasis
can also have the related arthritis...read more »
Vitamin B12 deficiency under-diagnosed: The condition of Vitamin B12 deficiency
is a possible misdiagnosis of various conditions, such as multiple sclerosis (see symptoms of...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Elbow Osteoarthritis
Elbow Osteoarthritis: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Bone, Joint and Orthopedic Specialists:
- Nerve Specialists:
- Pain Specialists:
- Arthritis & Joint Health Specialists (Rheumatology):
- Senior Health Specialists (Geriatrics):
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Elbow Osteoarthritis
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Elbow Osteoarthritis:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Elbow Osteoarthritis,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Elbow Osteoarthritis: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Elbow Osteoarthritis: Animations
More Elbow Osteoarthritis animations & videos
Prognosis for Elbow Osteoarthritis
Prognosis for Elbow Osteoarthritis:
Varies considerable - some cases progress intermittently whereas others stabilize for long periods of time.
More about prognosis of Elbow Osteoarthritis
Elbow Osteoarthritis: Broader Related Topics
Types of Elbow Osteoarthritis
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Elbow Osteoarthritis, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Elbow Osteoarthritis: