Prevention of Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome
Prevention of Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome:
Methods of prevention of Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome mentioned in various sources
includes those listed below.
This prevention information is gathered from various sources,
and may be inaccurate or incomplete.
None of these methods guarantee prevention of Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome.
- Blood sugar control - The only prevention is to control blood sugars. Avoiding going high for prolonged periods will avoid HHNS. Monitoring blood sugars usually means that no-one gets HHNS once they are diabetic. HHNS only occurs in diabetics if they neglect basic blood sugar monitoring.
- Careful blood sugar control - Tricky days include Sick days, injury, surgery, etc. You can get HHNS on days where the blood sugars get too high, like sick days, surgery recovery, or high stress. So make sure to monitor blood sugars more carefully on these high-risk days.
Treatments for Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome
Treatments to consider for Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome may include:
- Hospitalization - HHNS can be severe enough to require hospitalization, especially if occurring in a newly diagnosed diabetic.
- Lowering blood sugars - Extreme HHNS requires gradual blood sugar lowering in a hospital setting. Milder HHNS can be treated mainly by reducing blood sugars using insulin.
- Fluid replacement - Fluids such as water are required to replace the lost fluid and fix the dehydration.
- Treat metabolic imbalances - HHNS is a severe condition that can cause other metabolic changes. Hospital care will test and address other chemical imbalances.
- Treat the underlying cause - Once the main symptoms are alleviated, it is important to identify what caused the HHNS, so as to avoid it recurring. A common cause is that the patient is diabetic, but did not know they were.
- See also treatment of diabetes
- more treatments...»
Prevention Claims: Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome
Information on prevention of Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome comes from many sources.
There are some sources that claim preventive benefits
for many different diseases for various products.
We may present such information
in the hope that it may be useful,
however, in some cases claims of Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome prevention may be
dubious, invalid, or not recognized in mainstream medicine.
Please discuss any treatment, discontinuation of treatment,
or change of treatment plans with your doctor
or professional medical specialist.