Have a symptom?
See what questions
a doctor would ask.

Causes of Lung cancer

List of causes of Lung cancer

Following is a list of causes or underlying conditions (see also Misdiagnosis of underlying causes of Lung cancer) that could possibly cause Lung cancer includes:

More causes:see full list of causes for Lung cancer

Lung cancer Causes: Risk Factors

The following conditions have been cited in various sources as potentially causal risk factors related to Lung cancer:

Lung cancer Causes: Risk Factors

The following medical statistics relate to risk factors for Lung cancer:

  • Risk of lung cancer 54% higher in African American men than white men America (CBCF Health Organisation, 2004)
  • African Americans are 50% more likely to get the disease than whites in America (CBCF Health Organisation, 2004)
  • more stats »

Lung cancer: Related Medical Conditions

To research the causes of Lung cancer, consider researching the causes of these these diseases that may be similar, or associated with Lung cancer:

Lung cancer: Causes and Types

Causes of Types of Lung cancer: Review the cause informationfor the various types of Lung cancer:

  • Primary lung cancer - see categorization by cell types affected:
    • Small Cell Lung Cancer - also Small cell carcinomas or "oat cell" cancers
    • Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - more common than small cell lung cancer; there are various non-small cell subtypes:
      • Squamous cell carcinoma (lung) - also called "epidermoid carcinoma".
      • Adenocarcinomas (lung)
      • Large cell carcinoma (lung)
  • Metastatic lung cancer - when actually caused by another type of cancer; see underlying causes.
  • Mesothelioma
  • more types...»

Causes of Broader Categories of Lung cancer: Review the causal information about the various more general categories of medical conditions:

Lung cancer as a complication of other conditions:

Other conditions that might have Lung cancer as a complication may, potentially, be an underlying cause of Lung cancer. Our database lists the following as having Lung cancer as a complication of that condition:

Lung cancer as a symptom:

Conditions listing Lung cancer as a symptom may also be potential underlying causes of Lung cancer. Our database lists the following as having Lung cancer as a symptom of that condition:

What causes Lung cancer?

Article excerpts about the causes of Lung cancer:
87% of lung cancer is caused by smoking, so what about the other 13%? There is evidence that exposure to tobacco smoke in the home, usually from a smoking spouse, may increase the risk of lung cancer in non-smoking women. Nearly 9 out of 10 non-smoking Americans are exposed to environmental tobacco smoke (also known as "second-hand" smoke), as measured by levels of nicotine in their blood. The best scientific studies show that restrictions on second hand smoke reduce the risk of death and injury to non-smokers, including the hundreds of thousands of children with asthma and other respiratory illness. The FDA has classified second-hand smoke as a Group A carcinogen (known to cause cancer in humans.) Studies have also evaluated environmental tobacco exposure outside the home, either in a work or social setting but they provide inconclusive results. More studies are needed to determine how much exposure might be harmful in any of these settings. (Source: excerpt from Lung Cancer: NWHIC)

Medical news summaries relating to Lung cancer:

The following medical news items are relevant to causes of Lung cancer:

Cause statistics for Lung cancer:

The following are statistics from various sources about the causes of Lung cancer:

Related information on causes of Lung cancer:

As with all medical conditions, there may be many causal factors. Further relevant information on causes of Lung cancer may be found in:


By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use. Information provided on this site is for informational purposes only; it is not intended as a substitute for advice from your own medical team. The information on this site is not to be used for diagnosing or treating any health concerns you may have - please contact your physician or health care professional for all your medical needs. Please see our Terms of Use.

Home | Symptoms | Diseases | Diagnosis | Videos | Tools | Forum | About Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Site Map | Advertise