Treatments for Mastitis
Treatments for Mastitis:
The first step in treating mastitis is preventing its occurrence. Prevention includes maintaining good personal hygiene with frequent hand washing and washing the body with soap and water. It is important that women who are breastfeeding clean their nipples before and after each breastfeeding session. It is also a good idea to not stop breastfeeding suddenly and to wean a baby slowly from the breast. This prevents engorgement, which increases the risk of developing mastitis. In addition, promptly report any symptoms of mastitis or breast abscess to your licensed health care provider.
Mastitis is generally caused by a bacterial infection and is treated with antibiotics. Mastitis is usually curable with antibiotics if diagnosed and treated promptly. General supportive treatment includes rest, increased fluids, ensuring good nutrition, and applying a warm washcloth or warm compress to the inflamed area. Breastfeeding women do not always need to stop breastfeeding on the affected breast until the mastitis and infection has gone away. A woman should consult with her physician about how to proceed with breastfeeding until mastitis has cleared up. Medications for pain relief should only be taken as directed by a physician.
Treatment List for Mastitis
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
Alternative Treatments for Mastitis
Alternative treatments or home remedies that have been listed as possibly helpful for Mastitis may include:
- Continue breastfeeding
- Massage breasts with warm castor oil
- Warm compress
- Belladonna homeopathic remedy
- more treatments »
Mastitis: Is the Diagnosis Correct?
The first step in getting correct treatment is
to get a correct diagnosis.
Differential diagnosis list for Mastitis may include:
Hidden causes of Mastitis may be incorrectly diagnosed:
- Blocked breast ducts
- Cracked nipples
- Breast milk oversupply
- Breast bacterial infection
- more causes...»
Mastitis: Marketplace Products, Discounts & Offers
Products, offers and promotion categories available for Mastitis:
Mastitis: Research Doctors & Specialists
- Pregnancy & Fertility Health Specialists:
- Baby & Newborn Health Specialists:
- Womens Health Specialists:
- more specialists...»
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Latest treatments for Mastitis:
The following are some of the latest treatments for Mastitis:
Hospital statistics for Mastitis:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Mastitis:
- 0.004% (459) of hospital consultant episodes were for infections of breast associated with childbirth in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 93% of hospital consultant episodes for infections of breast associated with childbirth required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 100% of hospital consultant episodes for infections of breast associated with childbirth were for women in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 60% of hospital consultant episodes for infections of breast associated with childbirth required emergency hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Hospitals & Medical Clinics: Mastitis
Research quality ratings and patient incidents/safety measures
for hospitals and medical facilities in specialties related to Mastitis:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Treatment Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Mastitis,
on hospital and medical facility performance and surgical care quality:
Medical news summaries about treatments for Mastitis:
The following medical news items
are relevant to treatment of Mastitis:
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Mastitis