Treatments for Meningococcal disease
Treatments for Meningococcal disease:
The first step in treating meningococcal disease is preventing its occurrence and spread. A vaccine to prevent meningococcal disease is available for children and certain persons at risk for the disease. They include travellers who go to high risk areas of the world and people, such as military personnel and college students, who live in crowded situations. Vaccination may also be recommended for some health care professionals who are at risk for exposure to the disease.
Prevention of the spread of the bacterium that causes meningococcal disease, Neisseria meningitides, also includes frequent hand washing and covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when you sneeze or cough.
Meningococcal disease is a medical emergency, because it can rapidly result in permanent, serious complications and death within days. Treatment includes hospitalization, generally in an intensive care setting, and immediate administration of intravenous antibiotics. Complications, such as brain swelling, seizures, and coma will also need aggressive intensive care treatment.
People who have had close contact with a person with meningococcal disease, such as family members, friends, schoolmates, roommates, and health care workers, may also need to be treated for the disease, even in the absence of symptoms.
Treatment List for Meningococcal disease
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
for Meningococcal disease
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
- Emergency hospitalization - many cases require urgent emergency treatment.
- Early diagnosis and treatment is extremely important to prevent serious illness or death
- Antibiotics- ceftriaxone
- Sometimes steroid medication is used, more often in children than adults
- People in close contact with someone with meningococcal meningitis should be given antibiotics to prevent infection
Meningococcal disease: Is the Diagnosis Correct?
The first step in getting correct treatment is
to get a correct diagnosis.
Differential diagnosis list for Meningococcal disease may include:
Hidden causes of Meningococcal disease may be incorrectly diagnosed:
- Meningococcal meningitis is caused by the bacterium Neisseria meningitidis (also known as meningococcus)
- more causes...»
Meningococcal disease: Marketplace Products, Discounts & Offers
Products, offers and promotion categories available for Meningococcal disease:
Meningococcal disease: Research Doctors & Specialists
- Nerve Specialists:
- Neurology (Brain/CNS Specialists):
- Child Health Specialists (Pediatrics):
- more specialists...»
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Hospital statistics for Meningococcal disease:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Meningococcal disease:
- 0.02% (2,510) of hospital consultant episodes were for meningococcal fever in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 85% of hospital consultant episodes for meningococcal fever required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 53% of hospital consultant episodes for meningococcal fever were for men in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 47% of hospital consultant episodes for meningococcal fever were for women in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 84% of hospital consultant episodes for meningococcal fever required emergency hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Hospitals & Medical Clinics: Meningococcal disease
Research quality ratings and patient incidents/safety measures
for hospitals and medical facilities in specialties related to Meningococcal disease:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Treatment Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Meningococcal disease,
on hospital and medical facility performance and surgical care quality:
Medical news summaries about treatments for Meningococcal disease:
The following medical news items
are relevant to treatment of Meningococcal disease:
Discussion of treatments for Meningococcal disease:
Meningococcal Disease (General): DBMD (Excerpt)
Bacterial meningitis can be treated with a number of effective
antibiotics. It is important, however, that treatment be started
early in the course of the disease. Appropriate antibiotic treatment
of most common types of bacterial meningitis should reduce the
risk of dying from meningitis to below 15%, although the risk
is higher among the elderly. (Source: excerpt from Meningococcal Disease (General): DBMD)
Meningococcal Disease (General): DBMD (Excerpt)
People who qualify as close contacts of a person with meningitis
caused by N. meningitidis should receive antibiotics
to prevent them from getting the disease. (Source: excerpt from Meningococcal Disease (General): DBMD)
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Meningococcal disease