Treatments for Neonatal Jaundice
Treatment List for Neonatal Jaundice
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
for Neonatal Jaundice
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
- Watchful waiting - in the normal mild cases the condition usually corrects itself within a few days.
- Mild sunlight exposure - usually indirect light, taking extreme care not to sunburn the baby's skin.
- UV light exposure - using a mild artificial light source.
- Exchange blood transfusion - in extreme cases
- Vitamin B2
- Management of jaundice in neonates is influenced by the cause of the jaundice, as well as the gestational age and general health of the infant. The aim of treatment is to manage underlying causes and avoid kernicterus, or brain damage, resulting from high bilirubin levels. Treatments include:
- Investigation and treatment of underlying cause - eg hypothyroidism
- Observation - in mild physiological jaundice
- Exposure to indirect sunlight - for mild physiological jaundice
- Exchange transfusion - where phototherapy has failed to control jaundice and bilirubin levels are critically high
- Intravenous immune globulin - for conditions such as Rh and ABO incompatibility
Neonatal Jaundice: Is the Diagnosis Correct?
The first step in getting correct treatment is
to get a correct diagnosis.
Differential diagnosis list for Neonatal Jaundice may include:
Hidden causes of Neonatal Jaundice may be incorrectly diagnosed:
Neonatal Jaundice: Marketplace Products, Discounts & Offers
Products, offers and promotion categories available for Neonatal Jaundice:
Neonatal Jaundice: Research Doctors & Specialists
- Pregnancy & Fertility Health Specialists:
- Baby & Newborn Health Specialists:
- Womens Health Specialists:
- Child Health Specialists (Pediatrics):
- more specialists...»
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Latest treatments for Neonatal Jaundice:
The following are some of the latest treatments for Neonatal Jaundice:
Hospital statistics for Neonatal Jaundice:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Neonatal Jaundice:
- 0.001%81 of hospital consultant episodes were for neonatal jaundice due to other excessive haemolysis in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 80% of hospital consultant episodes for neonatal jaundice due to other excessive haemolysis required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 56% of hospital consultant episodes for neonatal jaundice due to other excessive haemolysis were for men in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 44% of hospital consultant episodes for neonatal jaundice due to other excessive haemolysis were for women in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Hospitals & Medical Clinics: Neonatal Jaundice
Research quality ratings and patient incidents/safety measures
for hospitals and medical facilities in specialties related to Neonatal Jaundice:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Treatment Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Neonatal Jaundice,
on hospital and medical facility performance and surgical care quality:
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Neonatal Jaundice