See what questions
a doctor would ask.
A tenfold overdose of heparin was given to a patient when the physician's written prescription contained an abbreviation for units which was mistaken for an extra zero. This made an 800 units/hour dose an 8,000 units/hour dose. The mistake was not noticed for four hours. An antidote was given and the patient had no long term effects.
Source: summary of medical news story as reported by US Pharmacist
About: Abbreviation leads to heparin overdose
Date: 15 November 2004
Source: US Pharmacist
http:/ This summary article refers to the following medical categories:
Related Medical Topics
More News Topics
This summary article refers to the following medical categories:
Search Specialists by State and City