See what questions
a doctor would ask.
A medication error caused by a series of events resulted in a man's death. The 69 year old man originally went to hospital after suffering an injury while horse riding. He was accidentally given hydromorphone instead of morphine. Hydromorphone is a very concentrated form of morphine and caused the man to lose consciousness enough for him to stop breathing. A report concluded that distraction as well as similar names caused the medication error. The hospital has since made changes to prevent a recurrence. There have been incidences in other hospitals where hydromorphone and morphine have been confused.
Source: summary of medical news story as reported by CTV
About: Morphine error leads to man's death
Date: 4 December 2004
http:/ This summary article refers to the following medical categories:
Related Medical Topics
More News Topics
This summary article refers to the following medical categories:
Search Specialists by State and City