Phacolytic Glaucoma: Introduction
Phacolytic Glaucoma: Phacolytic glaucoma (PG) is the sudden onset of open-angle glaucoma caused by a leaking mature or hypermature (rarely immature) cataract. It is a form of lens-induced open-angle glaucoma.
More detailed information about the symptoms,
causes, and treatments of Phacolytic Glaucoma is available below.
Symptoms of Phacolytic Glaucoma
- Sudden or insidious onset of ocular pain and worsened vision
- History of vision loss for months or years prior to the acute onset of pain, redness, and sometimes further decrease in vision.
- Vision may only be inaccurate light perception due to the density of the cataract.
- The history of slow vision loss due to advancing cataract preceding the acute onset of symptoms is a vital clue to the correct diagnosis.
- more symptoms...»
Read more about symptoms of Phacolytic Glaucoma
Treatments for Phacolytic Glaucoma
- Anti-inflammatory therapy
- Combination of topical and systemic IOP-lowering agents
- Topical steroids
- Cataract removal surgery- Extracapsular cataract extraction (eg, phacoemulsification) with an intraocular lens implant
- Pars plana vitrectomy with removal of the lens from within the vitreous cavity
- more treatments...»
Read more about treatments for Phacolytic Glaucoma
Home Diagnostic Testing
Home medical testing related to Phacolytic Glaucoma:
- Vision & Eye Health: Home Testing:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Wrongly Diagnosed with Phacolytic Glaucoma?
Phacolytic Glaucoma: Complications
Review possible medical complications related to Phacolytic Glaucoma:
Causes of Phacolytic Glaucoma
- It is caused by the leakage of lens protein (from a mature or hypermature cataract) into the aqueous humor, thereby causing obstruction of aqueous outflow
- Mature cataract
- Hypermature cataract
- Focal liquefaction of immature cataract
- Dislocated cataractous lens in vitreous
- more causes...»
Read more about causes of Phacolytic Glaucoma
More information about causes of Phacolytic Glaucoma:
Phacolytic Glaucoma: Undiagnosed Conditions
Commonly undiagnosed diseases in related medical categories:
Misdiagnosis and Phacolytic Glaucoma
Alzheimer's disease over-diagnosed: The well-known disease of Alzheimer's disease
is often over-diagnosed.
Patients tend to assume that any memory...read more »
Dementia may be a drug interaction: A common scenario in aged care is for
a patient to show mental decline to dementia.
Whereas this can, of course, occur due to various medical conditions,
such as a stroke...read more »
Tremor need not be Parkinson's disease: There is the tendency to believe that
any tremor symptom, or shakiness, means Parkinson's disease.
The reality is that there are various possibilities, such as benign...read more »
Rare diseases misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease: A rare genetic
disorder is often misdiagnosed as Parkinson's disease for men in their 50's.
The disease ...read more »
Vitamin B12 deficiency under-diagnosed: The condition of Vitamin B12 deficiency
is a possible misdiagnosis of various conditions, such as multiple...read more »
Read more about Misdiagnosis and Phacolytic Glaucoma
Phacolytic Glaucoma: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research related physicians and medical specialists:
- Nerve Specialists:
- Eye Health Specialists (Ophthalmology):
- Senior Health Specialists (Geriatrics):
- more specialists...»
Other doctor, physician and specialist research services:
Hospitals & Clinics: Phacolytic Glaucoma
Research quality ratings and patient safety measures
for medical facilities in specialties related to Phacolytic Glaucoma:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Phacolytic Glaucoma,
on hospital performance and surgical care quality:
Phacolytic Glaucoma: Rare Types
Rare types of diseases and disorders in related medical categories:
Evidence Based Medicine Research for Phacolytic Glaucoma
Medical research articles related to Phacolytic Glaucoma include:
Click here to find more evidence-based articles on the TRIP Database
Phacolytic Glaucoma: Animations
More Phacolytic Glaucoma animations & videos
Research about Phacolytic Glaucoma
Visit our research pages for current research about Phacolytic Glaucoma treatments.
Phacolytic Glaucoma: Broader Related Topics
Types of Phacolytic Glaucoma
User Interactive Forums
Read about other experiences, ask a question about Phacolytic Glaucoma, or answer someone else's question, on our message boards:
Contents for Phacolytic Glaucoma: