Treatments for Pneumonia
Treatments for Pneumonia:
One goal of treatment of pneumonia is to control symptoms, such as fever, cough, and shortness of breath, until a person recovers. Another goal is to minimize the development of serious complications, such as severe shortness of breath and hypoxia. With treatment, generally healthy adults can often recover from bacterial pneumonia or viral pneumonia.
However, a strong strain of pneumonia can be fatal to people who have diseases that affect the immune system, such as HIVAIDS, or to people who have chronic illnesses, such as COPD or congestive heart failure, or to the very young or very old. Pneumonia is often a fatal complication of chronic illnesses.
A very serious type of pneumonia, called methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia, can be very difficult to treat because the bacteria that causes it are resistant to the effects of antibiotics.
The first step in treatment of pneumonia is prevention. The risk of developing pneumonia can be reduced by not smoking and avoiding air pollutants, and contact with people who are sick with pneumonia, influenza, and other respiratory infections. Good hand washing practices minimize the spread of viruses, bacteria, and microorganisms that cause pneumonia. In addition, a vaccine is available to prevent specific kinds of pneumonia, including Pneumococcal pneumonia.
Mild cases of pneumonia that occur in generally healthy adults may be treated at home. Treatment includes getting plenty of rest and fluids and using a humidifier. The physician will also recommended over-the-counter or prescription medications to relieve pain, fever, and cough. Antibiotics are prescribed if the illness is a form of bacterial pneumonia. Antibiotics are ineffective in curing viral pneumonia.
If there is shortness of breath, a bronchodilator may be needed. Bronchodilators help to relax and open up the lower airways in the lungs and are inhaled into the lungs using a device called an inhaler.
Moderate to severe pneumonia may result in low levels of oxygen in the blood and require hospitalization and intravenous antibiotic administration if the cause is a bacterial infection.
Treatment often includes oxygen therapy, in which extra oxygen is given through nasal prongs or a mask. Supplemental oxygen can help relieve the shortness of breath and ensure that the vital organs, such as the heart and the brain, get enough oxygen. Concentrations of oxygen and the types of devices used vary depending on the severity of an individual's condition.
In the most severe cases in which complications such as hypoxia, respiratory failure and shock occur or are likely to occur, a breathing tube may be inserted into the lungs through the mouth to keep the airway open (intubation). Breathing is then supported by mechanical ventilation.
Treatment List for Pneumonia
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
Alternative Treatments for Pneumonia
Alternative treatments or home remedies that have been listed as possibly helpful for Pneumonia may include:
Pneumonia: Is the Diagnosis Correct?
The first step in getting correct treatment is
to get a correct diagnosis.
Differential diagnosis list for Pneumonia may include:
Hidden causes of Pneumonia may be incorrectly diagnosed:
Pneumonia: Marketplace Products, Discounts & Offers
Products, offers and promotion categories available for Pneumonia:
Pneumonia: Research Doctors & Specialists
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Drugs and Medications used to treat Pneumonia:
Note:You must always seek professional medical advice about any prescription drug, OTC drug, medication, treatment
or change in treatment plans.
Some of the different medications used in the treatment of Pneumonia include:
- Flucytosine - mainly used to treat pneumonia caused by Candida or Cryptococcus
- 5-fluorocytosine - mainly used to treat pneumonia caused by Candida or Cryptococcus
- 5-FC - mainly used to treat pneumonia caused by Candida or Cryptococcus
- Ancobon - mainly used to treat pneumonia caused by Candida or Cryptococcus
- Ancotil - mainly used to treat pneumonia caused by Candida or Cryptococcus
- Novo-triphyl - mainly used to treat pneumonia caused by Candida or Cryptococcus
- Macrolide antibiotics
- Biaxin XL
- Biaxin XL Pac
- Apo-Erythro Base
- Apo-Erythro E-C
- E.E.S. 200
- E.E.S. 400
- E-Mycin Controlled Release
- E-Mycin 333
- Wyamycin E
- Wyamycin S
- Fusidic Acid
- Pentamidine - mainly used for pneumonia ccaused by Pneumocystis canii
- Pentacarinat - mainly used for pneumonia ccaused by Pneumocystis canii
- Pentan-300 - mainly used for pneumonia ccaused by Pneumocystis canii
- NebuPent - mainly used for pneumonia ccaused by Pneumocystis canii
Unlabeled Drugs and Medications to treat Pneumonia:
Unlabelled alternative drug treatments for Pneumonia include:
Hospital statistics for Pneumonia:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Pneumonia:
- 1.3 million hospitalizations were due to pneumonia annually in the US 2002 (2001 National Hospital Discharge Survey, NCHS, CDC)
- 1.03% (131,593) of hospital episodes were for influenza and pneumonia in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 67% of hospital consultations for influenza and pneumonia required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 51% of hospital episodes for influenza and pneumonia were for men in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Hospitals & Medical Clinics: Pneumonia
Research quality ratings and patient incidents/safety measures
for hospitals and medical facilities in specialties related to Pneumonia:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Treatment Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Pneumonia,
on hospital and medical facility performance and surgical care quality:
Medical news summaries about treatments for Pneumonia:
The following medical news items
are relevant to treatment of Pneumonia:
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Pneumonia