Treatments for Rectal cancer
Treatments for Rectal cancer:
Treatment of rectal cancer starts with prevention. Preventive measures include seeking regular medical care throughout the lifetime. Regular medical care allows your health care professional to best evaluate your risks of rectal cancer and promptly screen for the disease with such tests as a digital rectal exam, fecal occult blood test, and a colonoscopy. These measures greatly increase your chances of catching the disease in its earliest, most curable stage.
Treatment plans for rectal cancer are individualized for each person's specific case. Treatment plans are based on the type of cancer, its location, the stage of advancement of the disease and other factors.
Rectal cancer that is found in its very earliest stage, has not spread to other organs outside of the colon, and is limited to the inside of the polyp, may be treated by surgical removal of the polyp. If rectal cancer has gone beyond this stage or spread outside the colon, treatment may require a combination of surgery, chemotherapy, and/or radiation therapy.
Surgery may include a colectomy, which removes the cancerous section of the rectum and surrounding areas. A passageway for stool may need to be made through the abdominal wall. This is called a colostomy.
In very advanced rectal cancer, surgery may be used to clear an intestinal obstruction and help relieve symptoms, but not necessarily as a curative treatment.
Treatment List for Rectal cancer
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
for Rectal cancer
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
- Surgery To remove tumor and prevent obstruction. Anastamosis of the bowel may be possible, or a colostomy may need to be formed
- Chemotherapy - usually combined with surgical treatment
- Radiotherapy - usually with palliative rather than curative intention
- Newer agents
- Palliative management - Control of symptoms where the disease is not responsive to curative treatment or the patient has chosen not to undergo curative treatment
Rectal cancer: Marketplace Products, Discounts & Offers
Products, offers and promotion categories available for Rectal cancer:
Rectal cancer: Research Doctors & Specialists
- Cancer Specialists:
- Digestive Health Specialists (Gastroenterology):
- Rectal/Anal Health Specialists (Proctology):
- more specialists...»
Research all specialists including ratings, affiliations, and sanctions.
Drugs and Medications used to treat Rectal cancer:
Note:You must always seek professional medical advice about any prescription drug, OTC drug, medication, treatment
or change in treatment plans.
Some of the different medications used in the treatment of Rectal cancer include:
Unlabeled Drugs and Medications to treat Rectal cancer:
Unlabelled alternative drug treatments for Rectal cancer include:
Hospital statistics for Rectal cancer:
These medical statistics relate to hospitals, hospitalization and Rectal cancer:
- 0.12% (15,719) of hospital consultant episodes were for malignant neoplasm of rectosigmoid junction in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 94% of hospital consultant episodes for malignant neoplasm of rectosigmoid junction required hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 65% of hospital consultant episodes for malignant neoplasm of rectosigmoid junction were for men in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 35% of hospital consultant episodes for malignant neoplasm of rectosigmoid junction were for women in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- 7% of hospital consultant episodes for malignant neoplasm of rectosigmoid junction required emergency hospital admission in England 2002-03 (Hospital Episode Statistics, Department of Health, England, 2002-03)
- more hospital information...»
Hospitals & Medical Clinics: Rectal cancer
Research quality ratings and patient incidents/safety measures
for hospitals and medical facilities in specialties related to Rectal cancer:
Hospital & Clinic quality ratings »
Choosing the Best Treatment Hospital:
More general information, not necessarily in relation to Rectal cancer,
on hospital and medical facility performance and surgical care quality:
Medical news summaries about treatments for Rectal cancer:
The following medical news items
are relevant to treatment of Rectal cancer:
Buy Products Related to Treatments for Rectal cancer