Prevention of Retinopathy
Prevention of Retinopathy:
Methods of prevention of Retinopathy mentioned in various sources
includes those listed below.
This prevention information is gathered from various sources,
and may be inaccurate or incomplete.
None of these methods guarantee prevention of Retinopathy.
- Diabetic control
- Quit smoking
- Control blood pressure
- Careful monitor blood pressure during pregnancy
- Exercise carefully (weights, headstands) - some types of exercise that increase blood pressure can actually aggravate the eyes and a retinopathy condition.
- Regular eye checkups
- Vitamin E - may have some preventive benefit
- ACE inhibitors - may have some preventive benefit
- Aldose reductase (AR) inhibitors (Epalrestat, Tolrestat, Sorbinol) - There is some evidence that AR inhibitors such as Epalrestat and Tolrestat may help prevent retinopathy or delay its progression. These drugs also may help with cataracts.
Prevention statistics for Retinopathy:
The following are statistics from various sources
about the prevention of Retinopathy:
- 30,000 adults with diabetic retinopathy could maintain their vision by having timely laser therapy in the US (Research to Prevent Blindness, NISE, NSF)
Medical news about treatments for Retinopathy
These medical news articles may be relevant to Retinopathy treatment:
Cure Research for Retinopathy
The list of research areas and treatments under analysis mentioned
in various sources for Retinopathy includes:
Prevention Claims: Retinopathy
Information on prevention of Retinopathy comes from many sources.
There are some sources that claim preventive benefits
for many different diseases for various products.
We may present such information
in the hope that it may be useful,
however, in some cases claims of Retinopathy prevention may be
dubious, invalid, or not recognized in mainstream medicine.
Please discuss any treatment, discontinuation of treatment,
or change of treatment plans with your doctor
or professional medical specialist.