Diagnostic Tests for Adrenal gland symptoms
Diagnostic Test list for Adrenal gland symptoms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Adrenal gland symptoms
- General appearance
- Looking for truncal obesity, moon face, acne, buffalo hump, thin legs
- Looking for bruising of Cushing's syndrome
- Looking for increased pigmentation of Cushing's syndrome, Addison's disease or adrenal cancer
- Looking for vitiligo (localized depigmentation) of Addison's disease
- Looking for signs of virilisation in female and enlargement of breasts in male ( may be due to adrenal cancer)
- Physical examination
- Blood pressure - elevated in Cushing's syndrome, Phaeochromocytoma and Conn's syndrome; drops low with standing in Addison's.
- Weakness of the proximal muscles in Cushing's Syndrome
- Abdominal stretch marks in Cushing's Syndrome
- Urine tests
- 24 hour urine collection for urine-free cortisol assay (elevated in Cushing's syndrome)
- 24 hour Urine collection for catecholamines, HMMA, VMA or total metadrenalines for diagnosis of phaeochromocytoma
- Blood tests
- Random Cortisol - elevated in Cushing's syndrome, low in Addison's disease.
- Dexamethasone suppression test - can help diagnose Cushing's syndrome and an adrenal tumor.
- Synacthen stimulation test will diagnose Addison's disease
- Elevated aldosterone and aldosterone/renin ratio in Conn's syndrome
- Electrolytes ( In Addison's disease have high potassium, low sodium, high urea, mild acidosis , high calcium; low potassium in Conn's syndrome
- High blood glucose during Phaeochromocytoma attack
- Adrenal antibodies - positive in Addison's disease if autoimmune cause.
- 17-Hydroxyprogesterone increase - in Congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
- Radiology investigations
- Chest X-ray and Abdominal X-ray to establish cause of Cushing's Disease and Addison's disease
- Renal venography
- Renal CT
- MRI and radioisotope scans to establish cause of Conn's syndrome and Cushing's syndrome
- Tests for associated conditions - e.g. Addison's is associated with Graves disease , Hashimoto's disease , Type 1 Diabetes , pernicious anemia , low parathyroid function and ovarian failure.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Adrenal gland symptoms causes:
- Fatigue: Related Home Tests:
- Bladder & Urinary Health: Home Testing:
- Adrenal Gland Health: Home Testing:
- Kidney Health: Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Adrenal gland symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Adrenal gland symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Adrenal gland symptoms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Adrenal gland symptoms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Adrenal gland symptoms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: