Diagnostic Tests for Amenorrhea
Diagnostic Test list for Amenorrhea:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Amenorrhea
- Physical examination - weight, height, BMI.
- Hirsuitism, acne and excess weight in polycystic ovaries
- Masculinisation in polycystic ovaries , adrenal or ovarian tumor
- Evidence of abnormal or absent secondary sexual characteristics
- Vaginal examination - looking for imperforate hymen, imperforate vagina, absence of vagina, cervical stenosis, absence of uterus.
- Blood tests
- Pregnancy test
- Serum prolactin - elevated in prolactinoma , stress , due to certain medications.
- FSH , LH , Oestradiol (elevated FSH and LH , reduced Oestradiol in primary ovarian failure; elevated LH/FSH ratio in polycystic ovarian syndrome; reduced FSH , LH and Oestradiol in hypopituitarism and hypothalamic disorders)
- Free testosterone ( elevated in polycystic ovarian syndrome)
- Thyroid function test - to diagnose thyroid hypofunction or hyperfunction.
- Serum cortisol and cortisol suppression test ( may suggest adrenal cortex tumor)
- Radiology investigations
- CT Brain or MRI Brain if prolactin elevated to look for prolactinoma
- Buccal smear for sex chromogens - if suspect Turner's syndrome.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Amenorrhea causes:
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
- Vaginal Health: Home Testing:
- Breast Cancer: Related Home Tests:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Amenorrhea:
The following list of conditions
have 'Amenorrhea' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Amenorrhea or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Amenorrhea:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Amenorrhea'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: