Diagnostic Tests for Ankle swelling
Diagnostic Test list for Ankle swelling:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Ankle swelling
- Physical examination
- Noting bruising, swelling, deformity, tenderness and reduced range of movement of ankle
- Look for nail changes that suggest psoriasis
- If swelling is due to edema , is it pitting (skin is indented when pressure is applied) or non-pitting - can assist in determining cause of edema.
- If swelling is due to edema , examine for signs of possible causes - e.g. congestive cardiac failure , liver cirrhosis , nephritic syndrome, deep venous thrombosis , hypothyroidism and varicose veins.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count - looking for infection suggesting septic arthritis.
- ESR - looking for inflammation.
- Uric acid - may be elevated in gout.
- Rheumatoid factor , ANA and ENA antibodies , CH50 and CH100 , C3, C4
- HLA-B27 - can help diagnose or exclude Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, ankylosing spondylitis.
- Viral tests - e.g. rubella , Ross river virus , cytomegalovirus , hepatitis B and HIV.
- Borrelia burgdorferi antibodies - if suspect recent tick bite.
- Thyroid function test - can detect hypothyroidism as cause of ankle edema.
- Liver function test - can diagnose cirrhosis and hypoalbuminaemia which may be a cause of ankle edema.
- Urine tests - increased protein in urine can help detect Nephrotic syndrome which may be a cause of ankle edema.
- Stool culture - for bacteria that may cause reactive arthritis.
- Genital (urethral or cervical) swab - if suspect Chlamydia or gonorrhea.
- Radiology investigations
- X-ray of ankle
- Ultrasound - can may assist in detecting blood or fluid accumulation.
- Radionuclide scan - may help detect pathology not found on x-ray e.g. bone tumors, bone infection or stress fracture.
- Venous Ultrasound study - can assist in detecting deep venous thrombosis.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Ankle swelling:
The following list of conditions
have 'Ankle swelling' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Ankle swelling or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: