Diagnostic Tests for Arm paresthesia
Diagnostic Test list for Arm paresthesia:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Arm paresthesia
- General appearance - abnormal posture, muscle wasting, abnormal arm movements.
- Physical examination
- May be necessary to examine a variety of joints including the cervical spine, shoulder, elbow , wrists and the various joints of the hand
- Test muscle tone, power, reflexes and co-ordination of upper limbs
- Test sensation of upper limbs ( including pain , touch , temperature and vibration sensation)
- Examine each nerve of the upper limb (including radial , median, ulnar nerve and also brachial plexus
- Examination of cranial nerves ( if also affected would suggest a diagnosis of cerebrovascular disease , a mass in the brain, migraine or multiple sclerosis
- Examination of the lower limbs
- Blood tests
- Full blood count
- Arthritis screen - (e.g. Rheumatoid factor, ENA and ANA autoantibodies).
- Blood sugar - to detect diabetes which can cause peripheral neuropathy and peripheral nerve lesions.
- Thyroid function tests - to diagnose hypothyroidism ( can cause carpal tunnel syndrome).
- Syphilis antibody test - if indicated.
- Radiology investigations
- Neck X-ray - look for cervical rib which may cause thoracic outlet syndrome.
- Upper Thoracic spine X-Ray
- Elbow , forearm, Shoulder X-ray
- Wrist and Hand X-Ray
- CT Scan or MRI of Cervical spine - if nil numbness of the face or cranial nerve signs - can detect nerve root entrapment in the intervertebral foramina of the cervical spine or a disc prolapse.
- CT Brain - if also numbness of the face or cranial nerve signs to detect cerebrovascular disease , mass in brain.
- MRI Brain and Spinal cord - to detect multiple sclerosis.
- Nerve Conduction studies
- Electromyography - to diagnose entrapment syndromes of peripheral nerves.
- Spinal tap - to help diagnose Multiple sclerosis.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Arm paresthesia causes:
- Diabetes: Related Home Testing:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Arm paresthesia:
The following list of conditions
have 'Arm paresthesia' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Arm paresthesia or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Arm paresthesia:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Arm paresthesia'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: