Diagnostic Tests for Arm weakness
Diagnostic Test list for Arm weakness:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Arm weakness
- General appearance - looking for bruising, deformity of arm, swelling of the arm, abnormal posture of body, muscle wasting, abnormal arm movements.
- Physical examination
- Blood pressure and pulse to detect risk factors for stroke
- Listen for carotid bruits which can indicate narrowing of arteries to brain and thus risk factor of stroke
- May be necessary to examine a variety of joints including the cervical spine, shoulder, elbow , wrists and the various joints of the hand
- Test muscle tone, power, reflexes and co-ordination of upper limbs
- Test sensation of upper limbs ( including pain , touch , temperature and vibration sensation)
- Examine each nerve of the upper limb (including radial , median, ulnar nerve and also brachial plexus
- Examination of cranial nerves - ( if also affected would suggest a diagnosis of cerebrovascular disease , a mass in the brain or multiple sclerosis.
- Examination of the lower limbs
- Blood tests
- Full blood count
- Blood sugar - to detect diabetes which can cause peripheral neuropathy, peripheral nerve lesions, increased risk of strokes.
- Lipid profile - looking for high cholesterol can increase risk of strokes.
- Thyroid function tests - to diagnose hypothyroidism ( can cause carpal tunnel syndrome).
- Clotting screen - if thrombotic stroke in young person or recurrent thrombotic disease to detect antithrombin III deficiency, protein C or S deficiency, lupus anticoagulant.
- Radiology investigations
- Neck X-ray (look for cervical rib which may cause thoracic outlet syndrome
- Upper Thoracic spine X-Ray
- Elbow , forearm, Shoulder X-ray - may need to X-ray both sides to compare, especially in children.
- Wrist and Hand X-Ray - may need to X-ray both sides to compare, especially in children.
- CT Scan or MRI of Cervical spine - can detect nerve root entrapment in the intervertebral foramina of the cervical spine or a disc prolapse.
- Ultrasound scan - modern sophisticated ultrasound examination is becoming a vital diagnostic modality for soft tissue disorders.
- Chest X-Ray - looking for a large heart secondary to high blood pressure or other cardiac disease.
- Carotid artery Doppler - to measure flow through arteries to brain.
- CT Scan Brain - to detect stroke , brain mass.
- ECG - to detect atrial fibrillation that may have caused a stroke; can detect a recent heart attack that can predispose to a stroke.
- Nerve Conduction studies
- Electromyography - to diagnose entrapment syndromes of peripheral nerve.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Arm weakness causes:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Arm weakness:
The following list of conditions
have 'Arm weakness' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Arm weakness or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: